Weird Goby and shrimp interaction

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamondback Goby and a fire shrimp currently in a 20g QT.

Tonight the Goby was going over the shrimp and opening his mouth really wide, the shrimp would move away a little, the Goby did it again, big wide mouth, keeping it open and then the shrimp started touching the Goby's face and eyes for a second, then took off to the top of the tank where he's been hiding behind the hob filter.

They aren't going into the same tank after this, so hopefully they aren't bonding, I know pistol shrimp and some gobies bond.

Anyone know what this weird behavior is? I didn't know if the Goby wanted to eat the shrimp or have his mouth cleaned!

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So weird, his mouth was so wide open! lol This shrimp is slacking off, hiding way up by the filters, really glad I put screen over the openings...I this because of the goby, I never thought the shrimp would way up there! Meanwhile, he's really slacking, the tank could use some clean up.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are considered cleaner shrimp. I've seen mine do it. Found this on YouTube.
<iframe width="536" height="402" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Baldguy -- you're correct, they are a cleaner shrimp. But mine never seemed to want to clean anybody, and oddly no fish wanted my cleaner shrimp to clean them either. BUT, my neon goby was a model cleaner, they all loved going to him for a cleaning.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I've got skunk cleaners in addition to the fire shrimp. Skunks are more active with the cleaning than the fire are but seems most fish are not interested in being cleaned at all. It is pretty neat when you catch em doing it though.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a Neon Goby.. They're awesome, and fish always come by begging to get cleaned. Very cool to watch. Neons will also ride other fish like a bus to get around the tank, tons of personality in a lil body. Can't recommend them enough.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are considered cleaner shrimp. I've seen mine do it. Found this on YouTube.
<iframe width="536" height="402" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The music, lol. Mine only spent a few seconds before he took off to his hiding spot, that goby though, he sat there with his mouth wide open, like he was in shock, lol

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back