Weird growth on polyps

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E3C4F8CF-3BF5-4C2E-88A8-18C71C146B05.jpeg

So little back story, tank is 1 1/2yrs old. I was incredibly slow and patient with stocking. Had a handful of frags and then the tank crashed during one of the power outages last fall in California. Lost all the corals and one fish.

The crash was tough on the tank, but everything (including the following algae bloom) cleared up within a few months. I waited another month or so, put two acros in, waited another month, and got a battle box.

The corals from Adam were added about three months ago, started dosing for ca/alk about 6 weeks ago. Everything looks good, some corals color and/or growth are better than others.

The frag in question is one from the battle box. It encrusted for a bit then stalled, but otherwise no change for a bit until these weird balls showed up the other day. I have no idea what they are, never seen anything like it.

I haven’t completely ruled out bugs, but it seems unlikely to me. All corals came from trusted sources and dipped in a massive dose of bayer. The balls don’t seem to move at all either, they are stationary on the affected polyps. No other corals seem to have them.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know this thread didn’t really perk any interest, but something is definitely up with this coral. Around a week ago it lost tissue overnight in a couple small patches like I’ve never seen...

It never “peeled” like RTN, and the patches are random on the frag. Since that night the tissue loss stopped, and is actually appearing to re-grow, albeit slowly.

All other frags/colonies are unaffected. I’m stumped
E91D4C1B-6CB3-48F8-9110-6513042D8689.jpeg

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some tissue loss there. You need to check really hard for pests... and then check again.

Thanks. I've been checking daily with a big magnifying glass held up to the tank since I first made the thread, but haven't noticed anything crawling yet. What type of pest would make that type of damage you think?

This coral and 90% of the others all came from Adam, and I dip everything in a nuclear batch of bayer before dropping in the tank so I kinda doubt worms... I realize anything is possible however.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back