ethanbear111

ethanbear111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, neat.
Are you using manmade rock that's tinted purple or do you really have that extensive Coraline algae growing?

Looks nice either way.
[emoji4]

Unfortunately I can't see a thing in any of those pictures clear enough for an ID.

I am simply guessing that you have a brown Majano pest anemone and that you want to kill it with AptasiaX or a tiny bit of kalk paste immediately.

The chances of it being a rare and totally cool hitchhiker are not 0 but they are like 0.00009%.
[emoji53]
I can tell you for a fact that the anemone is purple and not brown, the live rock is Indonesia ocean cultures live rock and I think it does have a lot of cool coraline algae on it, on another part of that same rock it has some bright red corraline algae.

OP
OP
ethanbear111

ethanbear111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cell phone does the same thing. Try playing with your white balance on the camera or download a different camera app.
The best luck I have had taking pictures of the aquarium is lights off with flash on, but if I do that the anemone would close. What do you mean by white balance?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you for a fact that the anemone is purple and not brown, the live rock is Indonesia ocean cultures live rock and I think it does have a lot of cool coraline algae on it, on another part of that same rock it has some bright red corraline algae.
In that case it could be a cool anemone.

I'm not the 'nem guy.

Try googling anemone under Images and see if you can find something comparable.
Lol, and tell us if you do!
[emoji4]
You have me curious now.

Go into your camera settings.
White balance WB changes the "temperature color" on your camera.
20k is much whiter and 5k is much yellower.
On my camera it just shows heiroglyphic's of a fluorescent bulb, a cloud, an incandescent light bulb, and a few other things.

Heck, If you're young enough to play around with Instagram, try one of the filters that color changes to see if you can get it in better relief.
ab77fcb627931bbd1ce6665606982cc3.jpg

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am strongly leaning towards them being a species of Majano anemone, being that it’s insonesian live rock and based on what I can see in the photos. I spent about 15 minutes digging through the internet for alternative species that look similar and are from Indonesia, and Majano is the only one.

If you like them, you could watch them and see how they grow. Carefully monitor them. Update this thread in the future with more photos, etc. If they multiply quickly that won’t be good. But, if you’re planning on having a reef tank with corals and anything expensive or that could be harmed by a pest anemone running amok, just kill them now by taking the chunks off the rock they’re on, or with kalk paste, boiling limewater, Aiptasia X, etc.

OP
OP
ethanbear111

ethanbear111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am strongly leaning towards them being a species of Majano anemone, being that it’s insonesian live rock and based on what I can see in the photos. I spent about 15 minutes digging through the internet for alternative species that look similar and are from Indonesia, and Majano is the only one.

If you like them, you could watch them and see how they grow. Carefully monitor them. Update this thread in the future with more photos, etc. If they multiply quickly that won’t be good. But, if you’re planning on having a reef tank with corals and anything expensive or that could be harmed by a pest anemone running amok, just kill them now by taking the chunks off the rock they’re on, or with kalk paste, boiling limewater, Aiptasia X, etc.
I agree... I checked after lights out and it seemed a plain boring brown, I think my phone was lying to me when it said white light.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more light to identify.

Both appear to be small BTA's from what I can see and I'm kind of a limb writing about the BTA thingy.

I can see both somewhat, still difficult and kind of going on on a limb writing that both appear to be small BTA's as far as the shapes I'm able to see here. If possible can you have some brighter whites for more definition fo positive ident?

OP
OP
ethanbear111

ethanbear111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more light to identify.

Both appear to be small BTA's from what I can see and I'm kind of a limb writing about the BTA thingy.

I can see both somewhat, still difficult and kind of going on on a limb writing that both appear to be small BTA's as far as the shapes I'm able to see here. If possible can you have some brighter whites for more definition fo positive ident?
2D1B3448-36CB-4E4C-94D5-EB41A81115AB.jpeg

Definitely making right?

ReefInskeep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better! With them closed up it’s hard to be 100%, but yeah, I’m 80% sure it’s a species of Majano.

There are multiple species that each look slightly different, but based on everything I can see in the photos, I’d bet my tank on it being Majanos.

Back