Weird Snail Activity

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a cleanup crew from Reef Cleaners a few weeks ago. Hermit crabs are doing fine, emerald crabs are fine, these tiny little snails are fine, but the NAS saris snails have just lumped in a corner of the tank and not moved. Additionally, I have three cleaner shrimp that seem fine. I know they can take a couple of days to acclimate but it has been close to 4 weeks. My water parameters are salinity 1.025, calcium 440, dKh 8.7, magnesium 1250, phosphate .11, and nitrate 11.3. I would assume they’d fall off the wall I’d dead. Any ideas what could be going on?
1CC0E579-C7F5-43DF-8F90-6C3B31C215AB.jpeg

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you ever see them move at night? Several of my snails sleep during the day and then begin doing their work after lights out. Also, some snails tend to go back to the same place to sleep during the day.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I ordered a cleanup crew from Reef Cleaners a few weeks ago. Hermit crabs are doing fine, emerald crabs are fine, these tiny little snails are fine, but the NAS saris snails have just lumped in a corner of the tank and not moved. Additionally, I have three cleaner shrimp that seem fine. I know they can take a couple of days to acclimate but it has been close to 4 weeks. My water parameters are salinity 1.025, calcium 440, dKh 8.7, magnesium 1250, phosphate .11, and nitrate 11.3. I would assume they’d fall off the wall I’d dead. Any ideas what could be going on?
Pretty normal for them in the daytime.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like nerite snails to me, definitely not nassarius snails.
Those nerites breathe out of water, if I remember correctly, and they like to collect along the waterline. I had some in my 75g a while ago that would almost always be at the waterline during the day. They ended up escaping the tank overtime and drying out on the floor. Keep a lid on your tank to keep these snails in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not abnormal and the fact that they have not fallen off the glass is a good sign

OP
OP
F

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the responses. To answer you question about food…the tank is fairly new (3 months) with lights only being on 4 hours as it is maturing, I feed the fish fairly heavily so there should be some detritus/left over food.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks for all of the responses. To answer you question about food…the tank is fairly new (3 months) with lights only being on 4 hours as it is maturing, I feed the fish fairly heavily so there should be some detritus/left over food.
Nerites tend to feed on algae and biofilm alone in my experience, at least in freshwater, I have never had them snack on leftover food. Always grazing the glass or driftwood or rocks.

Do you have dinos or cyno in your tank? That can turn them off.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are nerites

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought a ton of algae eaters and are not growing enough to sustain them. Lights need to be on 8-12 hours at this point. You are not going to avoid algae by leaving them off, just delay it, and probably starve your cuc in the meantime.

OP
OP
F

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bought a ton of algae eaters and are not growing enough to sustain them. Lights need to be on 8-12 hours at this point. You are not going to avoid algae by leaving them off, just delay it, and probably starve your cuc in the meantime.
Good point. I was actually planning on getting a more normal light schedule going after Christmas and start adding coral but guess I can up the lights now.

Also - I get it. Nerites!!!!!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I was actually planning on getting a more normal light schedule going after Christmas and start adding coral but guess I can up the lights now.

Also - I get it. Nerites!!!!!!
Sorry, I hadn't read the whole thread when I posted ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back