Well dang blast it. Is this ick?

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my foxface, Todd, had these spots this morning. On white of face, mid upper back and a couple below the black spot toward tail. They are raised. Any other spots are in water or on glass.
20190520_083216.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cant see them:). Is he doing ok?

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has gone to the skunk shrimp several times but I kinda fed the shrimp well this morning before I noticed. He flicks his fins but, this is brand new. Not there yesterday. This is my observation tank and I've had him 2weeks. He's just getting use to me and starting to come out and swim around while I'm feeding. He's eating like a pig. Here's another pic.
20190520_083306.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He has gone to the skunk shrimp several times but I kinda fed the shrimp well this morning before I noticed. He flicks his fins but, this is brand new. Not there yesterday. This is my observation tank and I've had him 2weeks. He's just getting use to me and starting to come out and swim around while I'm feeding. He's eating like a pig. Here's another pic.
20190520_083306.jpg

Problem is - there are spots on the glass - so its hard to see what's on the fish and whats on the glass.? can you put an arrow or something where you see something abnormal? If there are actual 'spots' - are they just on one part of the fish (the white part) - or the whole fish. If its one spot - could be flukes, could be an injury - if all over more likely to be something like CI or velvet. #reefsquad can probably weigh in.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is - there are spots on the glass - so its hard to see what's on the fish and whats on the glass.? can you put an arrow or something where you see something abnormal? If there are actual 'spots' - are they just on one part of the fish (the white part) - or the whole fish. If its one spot - could be flukes, could be an injury - if all over more likely to be something like CI or velvet. #reefsquad can probably weigh in.
Sorry. The pics on my phone are clearer then when they down load on here.
20190520_130610.jpg
20190520_130650.jpg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rabbitfish will often have some spots due to their thick mucous getting scratched or irritated etc. it could also be ich.

Unless you want to medicate right away, I would watch how long the spots last and whether they re-appear after in a different part, increase in numbers etc.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @ngoodermuth, do the fresh water dip for flukes, the pic sure looks like a possibility. If you have never done it before it sounds intimidating but it is actually very easy to do. If I can do it anyone can do it! Let us know the results.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll do the fresh water dip today and then observe. I have to go out of town this weekend so would not beable to start any other kind of tx. That is part of what is freaking me out. Ugh!

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so that was scary and traumatizing. He is going to be mad at me forever. After finally catching him, did the fw dip for 5 minutes. Getting him out he poked wholes in the bag. Yes, had to use a bag to make sure temp was same and I could see. Didn't see well but, nothing I could tell looked like sesame seeds. Of course he pooped in the bag so if a few could just have missed them. After putting him back in tank he just floated on top of water like he was dead until I finally touched him with the net. Now he is hiding all camoed out. Probably be tomorrow before I can observe him again. If I'm lucky.☹

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will get back to normal. I done all 14 of my fish a couple of weeks ago and the fish I would have thought had them didnt and the ones I couldn't imagine having them did. The first one ended up being my female maroon. I knew she would be the easiest to catch because she attacks everything I put in the tank including my hand. :D
Fw dip will now become my first step in my qt protocol. :)

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh!!! Ok, so definitely ICK. Now I need help on my plan. I still have them in the smaller 55gal. The foxface just barely fits in there. He's a good 6inches. Also never could find/catch the redline wrasse when I removed everyone else to dip. Only other spare tank I have is a 25gal hex that I hate by the way. LOL and had left it in the attic. Just got Tony to bring it down and cleaned it up. I do not have the equipment or meds for a med plan so Can I do this? Move the shrimp, crabs and snails with some sand and rock over to the hex and treat the foxface, rubyhead wrasse, redline wrasse, and diamond goby with hypo in the 55gal? Are they all safe doing hypo? Will Hypo kill off all my biofilter and cause issues? I know I am starting to have pods and at least 1 astrea star and one mini brittle I may not be able to find.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to try hypo in your dt you must have a refractometer, calibration fluid and an ATO to make sure you know the salinity is right and stays right for the full 30 days. Read the first few posts in this thread, which explain hypo and then talk about some challenges and solutions to doing in in a DT. I'd honestly recommend reading/skimming the whole thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.247596/

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read it earlier today. I have
Ve the refractometer but have always used the ro/di water. I guess I'll have to get some of the solution for calibration. That part confuses me. If there is a difference with rodi vs the other solution then shouldn't be consistent with whatever you use? Will look for some anyway. Should take a bit to get salinity down anyway.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back