Well I think I'm getting out

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think i'm getting out
I'm so confused right now I dont know what to do !!!!!! Tonight has been the worst tank luck I have ever had out of 7yrs I have not screwed up this bad. To start out most of you know I have a 7yr old SPS tank that has always been my baby but with going back to school and another child added to my house I have lost interest in it . I have tossed up the idea of getting rid of it and taking a break using reason like not enough time right now and the tank could use some fresh silicone so if I have to drain it I might as well sell it and start over later.
Well tonight I really messed up I had been noticing that the 3 top rocks that had encrusted together as one that housed my ORA RED PLANET , GREEN SLIMER , MIAMI ORCHID , SOME KINDA PURPLE TIP SPS AND MY ORANGE PLATE ( Keep in mind all these were softball size and bigger and had grew all around each other over the last 4yrs) had been starting to lean to the front because of the weight and tonight it took the finale plunge forward . I was able to catch the rock from falling all the way to the bottom and doing the best I could I got it to sit back up there but as I leaned back and looked the whole 3 rocks now were sitting on top of my soccer ball size wall hammer. I took another shot and lifted the rocks back up and let the hammer fall to the bottom but as I was doing this I could feel all 3 rocks seperating in my hand as the encrusted coral started to break. by the time it was all said and done the whole right side had collapsed and as I put it back the left side went down too. Now is when I panicked and started pulling rocks out all of which are encrusted and started putting them in the floor my idea was to get them out and restacked the rock but guess what you cant do that because after yrs of growing one way it wont go back everything was mangled together.

So out of option to get it all to fit back in the tank and not die sitting in the floor I started breaking SPS off the rocks and laying on the tank bottom of half the tank. Several pcs broke but at least they were alive in the water I then stacked the rock on the other side of the tank all that would fit and the rocks with no coral on them went on the porch.

So now what do I do ??????

1) Try to sell it all and start over later since the tank silicone was going to need replaced in a yr or so ( maybe I would have more time then )
2) Get a tub for the coral to stay in for a while why I look for a tank upgrade maybe a 90g or 120g ( really dont have the room for a tub and would need to sell mine for the money for a new tank )

If I sell it all and get out I could have more time later , not make some of the mistakes I made starting this one, let the rock completly die out so the coral pest I kill every month wont be in there ( button polyps etc... )

Sorry for the long rant I just needed to vent before I broke down and screamed​

OP
OP
BHAMR6

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scoly140.jpg

sculdermut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that, man. If you decide to keep the corals you have, I have a couple small tanks you could probably use to keep them in.

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tank and colonies!!! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm sure you will have no problem rebuilding another tank. by the looks of your tank, you have your system down well. Good luck

robsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Times get hard but keep it going man I thought of taking mine down but I love it way to much and its well worth the hassle

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

JimW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it all made it through the collapse, why not look at it as a good time to make it even better?!

OP
OP
BHAMR6

BHAMR6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up selling out ... I was upset but I needed a little break for awhile I've been going strong since 2005 and it was time for a break .. I had got to place where I couldn't enjoy frag swaps because I had outgrown the tank so that suck and for those that know me know I had a boot camp style cleaning schedule ( very ocd ) so I super cleaned every ppcs of equipment and tank every 2-3 wks which would take me 6hrs ( I know that sound crazy that long ).. I have a new 12wk old and I'm in my last semester of school so it has kinda been a blessing..

NOW THE NEW PROBLEM as it was heading out the door I was getting the fever again for another bigger tank so I've already been getting some prices just think I'm going to wait till May when a graduate

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you had no problems selling that stuff off. Your tank looked amazing from the one pic there.

You should take all the time you need to plan this next big one out...no regrets. Good luck with school and being a dad!

scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That was a beautiful tank! Sorry to hear about the troubes, but CONGrATS on the new addition to the fam!

reefsmokinFOOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea dude its ok to take a break for a bit. When the time is right, probably later than sooner you will be in a better place. Until then GL with the transformation and the new addition to the family.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back