Well Water: What is your filtration setup?

Augus7us

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have well water with TDS at ~400 coming out of the tap. I also have iron, sulpher, etc. I plan on fixing the iron issue with a katalox AIO unit, in addition to my softner, but reading up on them they all recommend pre filtering the water.

This got me thinking. I don't want to run RO for my house and RO for my fish tank water and end up replacing dozens for filter cartridges each year. I would love to find something that will reduce the TDS in my water before it hits my softner and katalox, then it will go to my RODI for the tank or bypass that for the rest of the house. Clean drinking water for me and less TDS to deal with on the RODI system for the tank. Thoughts?

Also has anyone used something like this? I love the idea of not having to clean it or deal with it, we all know I'll have plenty of that to do with the tank...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a self-cleaning sediment filter? Would that reduce TDS since those are dissolved? Is your TDS @ 400 before the softener? Mine runs that high after the softener, but a lot of it is sodium.
Jay

OP
OP
Augus7us

Augus7us

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a self-cleaning sediment filter? Would that reduce TDS since those are dissolved? Is your TDS @ 400 before the softener? Mine runs that high after the softener, but a lot of it is sodium.
Jay
I'm not sure if it would or not, I was hoping someone here would know :)

It is 400 after the softner. But after you posted I checked before the softner and like you it was lower. Around 350.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back