OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a special road trip to Kirk Fishery in Goodland yesterday for these. DFE3A936-EB3A-4822-B9D7-C445C3686244.jpeg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank sounds...does anyone notice their tank sounding different at different times of the day or days?

Sometimes my tank is extra loud, sometimes rushing bubbles entering sump, sometimes a mysterious burp in sump, sometimes sounds like gate valve needs adjustment but normally it’s loud...very rarely is it peacefully quiet.

Sitting by the tank, at 6:05 am, the tank went from loud to quiet and I can’t figure out why. You think it would be easy to find in Fusion what happened at 6:05, but nothing stands out.

Anyone have similar experiences with changing sounds and level of tank noise?

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest happenings in the 280:

One of the Cor20 power bricks died, thankfully had a spare. Ordered replacement.

New external Lifereef 36” skimmer is waiting to be plumbed in. The small Lifereef is a workhorse, but the more I’m feeding the emperor.... there’s a lot of fish poo.

Corals are growing and good color. Parameters stable.

I spied a flat worm yesterday so “Hello Bayer!” today and a couple more yellow coris wrasses will be next fish additions. Not Qt again, sigh.

4 Pearlies are beginning to pair up, side by side burrows and some displaying going on. The lone 5th pearly began getting bullied to the point of frayed fins and homeless. Thankfully it was easy to net and now resides in a nano beside my computer. Kinda excited to have a second tank going again.

A large trocus was spawning last week, which was cool. (I’ve seen urchins, starfish and btas broadcast spawn but never a snail.).
AD4437C0-9E89-4B73-86B8-F6FF0CFFB6EE.jpeg

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC51849C-159C-48DF-A726-4180491FB95E.jpeg
Fired up the new skimmer a minute ago and babysitting it for now. Tried powering it with a spare cor20 that would not run due to “dry” error. Grrrr. So attached an old faithful mag18 and runs like a charm.

Of course one of DT return Cor20 has decided to have a volt error. I’m really starting to dislike smart pumps...a lot!

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC51849C-159C-48DF-A726-4180491FB95E.jpeg
Fired up the new skimmer a minute ago and babysitting it for now. Tried powering it with a spare cor20 that would not run due to “dry” error. Grrrr. So attached an old faithful mag18 and runs like a charm.

Of course one of DT return Cor20 has decided to have a volt error. I’m really starting to dislike smart pumps...a lot!
Could this be contributing to the fluctuation in your noise level? If there is fluctuation in the volume of water you're returning to the tank it could make it difficult to get the overflow dialed in optimally and consequently affect the noise level. I had a friend experience this due to a return pump that would have slight fluctuations in the volume of water it was pumping despite not adjusting the pump.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be contributing to the fluctuation in your noise level? If there is fluctuation in the volume of water you're returning to the tank it could make it difficult to get the overflow dialed in optimally and consequently affect the noise level. I had a friend experience this due to a return pump that would have slight fluctuations in the volume of water it was pumping despite not adjusting the pump.
Good Thought!

The Cor returns are set at same speed 24/7, but yeah, when one Cor is down, the tank is loud and sump high.

I did learn the fluctuating noise level was due to a gyre pump schedule in the DT. Idkw, but when the gyre was on, the return was definitely out of balance and loud.

Now that gyre is off 24/7, DT is nice and quiet.
Gyre for sale!

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was away last weekend and had “mom” feeding 1x day. When home this wk, noticed the tank would sometimes look a little less bright off and on.
Well, I know why.
8D0D5E48-8249-497A-8784-ADA7FFF8AA45.jpeg
She was setting clams on “the metal shelf” before dropping them into the tank!
;Woot
AHHHH!

Of course, it’s the “parent” light and I’m leaving for 3 days.

Yeah, it’s solid red and shuts off. I’m guessing it’s over heating due to fan being gummed up or worse.

update: flash light clarified the problem, a fan blade broken off and jammed. Pulled out broken blade and bingo! Works.

Thank you Lord.

*Note to self: never underestimate how easy it is for a non-reefer to screw up, even a simple request “drop clam into aquarium”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d share pic of overflow chamber, it’s got LR, a big serpent and mp40 to keep debris moving.
50AB81E2-75A8-4755-833A-D3E2B74AB17C.jpeg

My fish are getting large now and I’m feeling that I over estimated the amount of livestock... fish growing too fast: emperor, Caribbean blue tang, McCullochi female, hippo.

The blue and Emp are bully buddies.

The emp has gotten belligerent. I can’t get close to the tank without him rushing over and grunting/chasing the other fish away. He particularly dislikes my fav the CBB. I now seperate feeding stations: 2 algae feeders, 2 AFS and 2 hanging Clam hooks. Hoping he will mellow out for the sake of CBB...cause I don’t want to choose and my hubby doesn’t want another big tank, baaha
4AEA3B98-37C7-4B3A-83C8-788A1C23880A.jpeg

carib blue fighting his reflection this morning

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some input:
If you had to decide between having a CBB or an Emperor in your tank, which would it be?

I can’t have both, but they are my 2 favorites!

Someone has to go...
the emp hates the cbb, very aggressive chasing. The emp doesn’t chase or bark at any other fish, it specifically singles out the copperband.

Which brings me to where thefish goes?

One will stay in my 280 gal and one will live in a 300 gal Rubbermaid in my daughters’ care.

what to do???

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would come down to which one is most beneficial for the tank. Is the CBB keeping your aptaisia in control?
When I had angels in the tank including the emperor, you will not find one aptaisia in the display tank.
The Emperor is a show fish. Never had anyone say wow, a coppberband butterfly. Most people keep copperband because of the aptaisia control but I think a group of peppermint shrimps can do a better job.

OP
OP
Wen

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it would come down to which one is most beneficial for the tank. Is the CBB keeping your aptaisia in control?
When I had angels in the tank including the emperor, you will not find one aptaisia in the display tank.
The Emperor is a show fish. Never had anyone say wow, a coppberband butterfly. Most people keep copperband because of the aptaisia control but I think a group of peppermint shrimps can do a better job.
Thanks for your opinion! No aptaisia to be found in the dt, and your right the Emperor is a crowd pleaser.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emp is a stunning fish and to be honest I would keep instead, granted a full adult emp will look almost a little to big for a 240 in a few years.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where have you been @rds85 ? What's new happening in your equipment room?
I have been working and then vacations! Got to go diving in your neck of the woods last week.

To be honest not to much is happening in there besides regular maintenance. Updated my exhaust fan. Making my own fish food. I had a urchin attempt to spawn in the fuge which was wild and I got it on video on my phone. I really want to make a frag tank and a species specific tank but the wife says I have to many tanks and spend a enormous of time in that room. Got a fish in QT, playing around with formaldehyde pre copper. Got 17 sticks from battlecorals. I had a reef octopus controller for my skimmer pump die on me while I was on vacation.

I am mainly spending time now watching the tank and playing KZ products. Some of my sticks are exploding in growth and already touching.

Back