Western NY Reefers

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jim! My grandparents are from Springville and my Aunts live in Amherst and Orchard Park. I know the area. You got a sweet fish store out there by the airport! I'm thinking about taking a drive one of these days and checking it out, I haven't been there in a while. Welcome back to the Hobby man, that's a long hiatus! I was gone for eight and I thought that was a long time. So glad to be back myself!

Thanks! Quick update. I've ordered my IM INT 100. It's scheduled to ship sometime in October. I went ahead and ordered my sump last week. After much back and forth, I decide to go with the Eshopps Alpha 300 (https://www.eshopps.com/filters/alpha-fuge/af-300). I know it's not one I've seen mentioned very often, but there were a number of features I liked, so I thought I'd give it a try. I've also been working on my aquascaping. I picked up 80# of dry rock, chiseled them down to smaller pieces, and have been busy gluing my structures together. I taped out the interior dimensions of the tank on my table, and have tried to make structures that will fit my ultimate stocking goals. My biggest concern is whether I scaled them correctly.

Next on my agenda is deciding which light and return pump fits my needs and budget.

I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you eventually and getting any advice you'd be willing to offer.

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update: tank, sump, lights, return pump, powerheads, sand and rock are in place. Next step: making water! If anyone has advice on what RODI system works well with our local water would be appreciated.

IMG_1727.jpeg IMG_1730.jpeg IMG_1769.jpeg IMG_1757.jpeg IMG_1758.jpeg IMG_1759.jpeg IMG_1760.jpeg IMG_1745 (1).jpeg

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice setup!
Any 4-6 stage RO/DI works pretty well. my tds is only 140 out of the sink and 4 before it hits DI. BRS stuff is quality. 75 gallon per day is the recommended standard but 100 may also be acceptable.
happy reefing

the_cros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update: tank, sump, lights, return pump, powerheads, sand and rock are in place. Next step: making water! If anyone has advice on what RODI system works well with our local water would be appreciated.

IMG_1727.jpeg IMG_1730.jpeg IMG_1769.jpeg IMG_1757.jpeg IMG_1758.jpeg IMG_1759.jpeg IMG_1760.jpeg IMG_1745 (1).jpeg
How do you like this Sump? I have been looking to move my sump operations to my water room (workshop) in the basement and this is one of the sumps I am considering.

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like this Sump? I have been looking to move my sump operations to my water room (workshop) in the basement and this is one of the sumps I am considering.
I really like the sump. I wasn't sure how the "channel design" would actually function, but it performs as advertised. The float valve for the ATO works like a charm, so that saved me from having to buy an ATO pump. The flow into the fuge is gentle, creating a nice environment for my macro algae and pods. I'm growing ulva (sea lettuce) to feed my tang. If you are looking for robust chaeto growth, this may not be the best sump. The skimmer section is large, I have my skimmer and two heaters in it. The only discernible noise is from the water flowing over the media baskets, where I have carbon. It's not loud, but when not running carbon I remove the basket and the sump is near silent. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

I also left a review on the @premiumaquatics website. https://premiumaquatics.com/products/eshopps-af300-alpha-sump.html

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 45 57.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back