What’s going on between these two corals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PotatoPig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2023
Messages
1,468
Reaction score
1,466
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Toadstool and Limelight hydnophora have been next to each other for almost a year without incident then this morning I came down to this drama…

img_2082-jpeg.3854115


IMG_2083.jpeg

I assume a turf war? If so who’s winning? Remedy is to move one?

IMG_2082.jpeg
 
I could absolutely be wrong on this, but it looks to me like one is stinging the other! I had 2 favia's do this, so I moved one of them, and the area that had the stinging, is now dead.
 
I could absolutely be wrong on this, but it looks to me like one is stinging the other! I had 2 favia's do this, so I moved one of them, and the area that had the stinging, is now dead.
I’m assuming the same - moved the toadstool to a completely different part of the tank, now gotta watch it to see if it survives.

(My guess is the limelight was the aggressor, being a LPS/SPS with tentacles)
 
I’m assuming the same - moved the toadstool to a completely different part of the tank, now gotta watch it to see if it survives.

(My guess is the limelight was the aggressor, being a LPS/SPS with tentacles)
YEah, I would agree with that.
 
There a very aggressive coral I’m led to believe so never kept one
 
:crying-face: Yeah, unfortunately this is about how I expected it to turn out. Hopefully your toadstool can heal itself in time. This is why I space my corals very far apart.
 
A lot of lps are very aggressive and are concealed carry members. Hydnophora, moon corals, favia, galaxia, pectina, some of the meat corals they dont have the same reach but will dump their guts out and dissolve stuff near by.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new