What’s happening to my plate coral.

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys my plate coral looks to be somewhat receeding as some of its skeleton looks visable. Any reason for this happening ? My crabs are constantly waking all over it which obviously it’s not going to like.

Sal - 1.026
PH- 8
Nitrate - 25ppm
Phos - 0.1pp
Alk - 7.3
Cal - 450
Mag - 1410
Temp - 76

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the values your water looks good. (Maybe a bit high on nutrients but nothing too extreme)

I would suggest you to increase alkalinity to 9.0 dkh as 7,3 is close to seawater, but gives you small room for error. Maybe you had a small drop in alkalinity and ph got affected.

Have your values been stable for a long period? How old is the tank? Have you checked for bad hitchikers during the night? What lights are you running?

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried feeding your LPS? Some Reef Roids or Reef Energy would work well...

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the values your water looks good. (Maybe a bit high on nutrients but nothing too extreme)

I would suggest you to increase alkalinity to 9.0 dkh as 7,3 is close to seawater, but gives you small room for error. Maybe you had a small drop in alkalinity and ph got affected.

Have your values been stable for a long period? How old is the tank? Have you checked for bad hitchikers during the night? What lights are you running?
Yeah values are stable never really fluctuate much. Tank is over 1 year old. Not checked for hitch hikers.

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not getting blasted with too much flow, is it? Perhaps a current eddy from the rocks?
Could possibly be as I just recently changed my pump from standard to a sicce syncra silent 0.5
But wouldn’t it move if it wasn’t happy. I wouldn’t say it’s getting blasted but maybe abit more flow thank before

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals don't move.
These corals definitely do. I've had them travel around in my tank, I had one that was hell bent on tucking in next to a chalice. I'd move it every morning and by the next morning there it was again. I moved to the other side of the tank and it's more or less staying put now.

I agree with the above advise. The only other thing I would add is if it dies leave it in and you might be gifted with whole horde of baby plates:

I had an orange one die on me but then babies started to form:

FungiaBabies2.jpg

About a year later:

DSC03387.jpg

Two years later:

DSC03798.jpg

DSC03801.jpg

And still popping off more:
DSC03802.jpg

Ever seen two fungia that grew into each other? I've got a couple of these:

IMG_20200226_113432_0.jpg

Quote Reply

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These corals definitely do. I've had them travel around in my tank, I had one that was hell bent on tucking in next to a chalice. I'd move it every morning and by the next morning there it was again. I moved to the other side of the tank and it's more or less staying put now.

I agree with the above advise. The only other thing I would add is if it dies leave it in and you might be gifted with whole horde of baby plates:

I had an orange one die on me but then babies started to form:

FungiaBabies2.jpg

About a year later:

DSC03387.jpg

Two years later:

DSC03798.jpg

DSC03801.jpg

And still popping off more:
DSC03802.jpg

Ever seen two fungia that grew into each other? I've got a couple of these:

IMG_20200226_113432_0.jpg

Quote Reply
Wow that’s amazing

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s amazing
My pistol shrimp kept running off with them so I had to put them in a tupperware until I could get them all sold off:

1582917444871.png

All of the plates except for the double have been sold off and I've already got another tuperware full of them!

OP
OP
MrDLHughesY

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp kept running off with them so I had to put them in a tupperware until I could get them all sold off:

1582917444871.png

All of the plates except for the double have been sold off and I've already got another tuperware full of them!

that’s cool to know I would have for sure took it out of the tank

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they die they usually pop some babies out as a last stand, so just leave it in the tank. After some time you will see them pop up around your tank a lot of the time.

And yes plates inflate to move like balloons, as long as flow is good enough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back