What’s the newest / hottest “high end” Acro?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt like a lot people fell into the whole naming game. The hottest high end coral is whatever craziest name the vendor put on it and how rare they are. it's stupid game
On the bright side, I feel like there is a greater variety of healthy aquacultured pieces than ever to choose from. I struggle to decide what I DON'T want to own. There are so many that are beautiful and fairly hardy now. Of course, the hardier they are and faster they grow, the cheaper they become. Think about Walt Disney. Beautiful, hardy, fast growing, used to be ridiculously expensive and is now listed around here @$70 or so.

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bright side, I feel like there is a greater variety of healthy aquacultured pieces than ever to choose from. I struggle to decide what I DON'T want to own. There are so many that are beautiful and fairly hardy now. Of course, the hardier they are and faster they grow, the cheaper they become. Think about Walt Disney. Beautiful, hardy, fast growing, used to be ridiculously expensive and is now listed around here @$70 or so.
I felt like they are chop shop and also aquacultured. This guy explained it nicely

this is why i don't support this crap. It's bad for our pocket and possibility the environment. I support the actual store that aquacultured themselves without importing new **** and call it Ultramarine 40k!

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC Flaming sunrise
flaming sunrice.jpg

MB_Fahrer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt like they are chop shop and also aquacultured. This guy explained it nicely

this is why i don't support this crap. It's bad for our pocket and possibility the environment. I support the actual store that aquacultured themselves without importing new **** and call it Ultramarine 40k!
I always new there was some bull going on. Thanks for this post. I wish more people would call these shops out!

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered this. Does the wild Tenuis turn into rainbows in our tanks, or do you have to start with a tri color wild to begin with?

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SBB Half Baked is a super slow grower and very unique.
These two factors will drive the price up. It's getting happier in my tank but it's pretty small to take a picture of.

Last edited:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they import, "cook", cut, lose mother, ship 1/2" nubs, and hope a few hobbyist succeeed with said coral, then re-purchase their "named" coral, all the while knowing that if they cannot achieve survival success, neither will most hobbyists, therefore increasing the demand, and maintaining or increasing market value. Pretty good business plan, and they know how easily manipulated people are with their $. Create a coral cult culture club, and convince their buyers that they are a part of elite coral keeping. I am not trying to bash, just expose, so maybe some will re-think dropping a grand on a coral that will likely die. Now, there are hobbyists around here who's system can grow and color these nubs, and we all know who they are. However, these are the elite reefers, not because they can afford these nubs, but because their systems are so mature and healthy, they should maybe be the aquaculturer. Pushing corals that you in fact cannot keep is bad business, IMO. All of this being said, I think we have lost sight regarding the beauty, passion, kindness, and PIF mentality, which attracted me personally to the hobby. I know many still exist, and I have been fortunate to call many of them my "reefin buddies " Either way, I hope we collectively begin to have a bit more compassion for these animals, and all life forms, for that matter. Best wishes to all reefers!

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they import, "cook", cut, lose mother, ship 1/2" nubs, and hope a few hobbyist succeeed with said coral, then re-purchase their "named" coral, all the while knowing that if they cannot achieve survival success, neither will most hobbyists, therefore increasing the demand, and maintaining or increasing market value. Pretty good business plan, and they know how easily manipulated people are with their $. Create a coral cult culture club, and convince their buyers that they are a part of elite coral keeping. I am not trying to bash, just expose, so maybe some will re-think dropping a grand on a coral that will likely die. Now, there are hobbyists around here who's system can grow and color these nubs, and we all know who they are. However, these are the elite reefers, not because they can afford these nubs, but because their systems are so mature and healthy, they should maybe be the aquaculturer. Pushing corals that you in fact cannot keep is bad business, IMO. All of this being said, I think we have lost sight regarding the beauty, passion, kindness, and PIF mentality, which attracted me personally to the hobby. I know many still exist, and I have been fortunate to call many of them my "reefin buddies " Either way, I hope we collectively begin to have a bit more compassion for these animals, and all life forms, for that matter. Best wishes to all reefers!
Is that true, after holding the wild mother for like 6-month to a year, then after it gets fragged for the first time, the mother colony dies?

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that true, after holding the wild mother for like 6-month to a year, then after it gets fragged for the first time, the mother colony dies?

Not in every case, but I am sure it happens. There are many named corals where mothers are lost, and hobbyist carry lineage. Keeping sps can be brutal, but a wild is another story. Look at ORA and the German Blue Polyp Acro, it's a rare find, and they no longer have it. It's hobbyist keeping the lineage going. Like my JF Pink Freak Tenuis which is struggling, that I got locally, my seller got it at 2nd RAP Oralndo, like 7 years ago. It happens to the best :)
It's chop shops I am referring to, and they know what they are doing, lol :)

Last edited:

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Charlie’s Frags has a new piece he’s calling a “green slimer” and it’s pretty nice.

I’m still on the hunt for a skittles granulosa. Please let me know if any of you have a fraggable piece.

Edit: And a Banana Lokani and 20k Lokani
If you're still looking for banana lokani you can get a frag from farmerty (https://farmertyfrags.com/collections/frag-to-order/products/banana-lokani). You can find a picture of the mother colony on his build thread. I got mine from Ty and it's probably the brightest coral in my tank. Highly recommend.

Lancexcrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
Just wanted to start this thread to have a discussion about your opinion on what’s the hottest acro right now from a price standpoint and also looks stand point.

I feel like the rrc rainbow splice is definitely up there on the list but has been around for quite a few months or even a year!

What do you guys think?
WWC Helio and WWC Wow Acro

dolpator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RRC Rainbow Slice is absolutely up there, as well as a lot of crazy pieces coming out of the SBB grow system! He has done a crazy job coloring up some really high end tenuis corals! In addition, Brandon over at Vivid Aquariums has always had some great stuff, and continues to supply some bright and colorful Acros!
Question I just got me a nice frag of RRC Rainbow Splice. I was wondering if the frag doesn't have the red in it, will it develop that red in the corallites. I am reading mixed reviews on this...

dolpator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only one RRC Rainbow Splice. It came from Reef Raft Canada to several vendors in the US including TCK which is where I got mine from. If you can't verify lineage back to RRC then it is not an RRC Rainbow Splice, and it should look something like this:

RRC Rainbow Splice-2.jpg RRC Rainbow Splice Macro.jpg RRC Rainbow Splice POTM.jpg
I got a piece of this from a friend, but afraid since I didn't get any red portion of the coral, that it might not develop that color in it. Crossing fingers that it does, but time will tell. Still a gorgeous piece.

Back