What’s your favorite LARGE angelfish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow mask angel and Queens... this is the transition photos of mine.

CollageMaker_20201103_174121474.jpg
How fast did yours take to grow? I’d love one but I fear my 4’ tank would be too small within a few months, if it takes a few years before it gets too big and needs 6’ of tank - 3 or 4 then I can do that.
I’d love to get hold of a juvenile (My LFS has a 3-4” adult one in and I’d love to get my hands on a juvenile, nearly did but soon realise that the juvenile I thought was a P. xanthometopon was actually a juvenile Koran Angel).

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s a Dutch guy called Tann Hoff who kept a Regal Angel for 16, maybe 17 years in a 165 gallon. His tank’s 110cm x 80cm x 70cm so not big. He told me it probably never got past 5.5” and had been that way up to the day it died. It died from stress and disease after a power cut…. Bummer.

DK450reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_1661.MOV
    52 MB

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I can not keep them, I would have to say the Coran Angel fish.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you
How fast did yours take to grow? I’d love one but I fear my 4’ tank would be too small within a few months, if it takes a few years before it gets too big and needs 6’ of tank - 3 or 4 then I can do that.
I’d love to get hold of a juvenile (My LFS has a 3-4” adult one in and I’d love to get my hands on a juvenile, nearly did but soon realise that the juvenile I thought was a P. xanthometopon was actually a juvenile Koran Angel).
As you can see it transitioned and put on weight quickly at first. Went from a fleck to 5" or more in a year. I do feed quite a bit as he'll eat anything if I don't.

Most I've seen (all) have been pretty reclusive even as adults so they are likely better in a smaller system at first if you don't consider aggression. They will turn up the aggressive dial in a small system.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish! They’re one of my favorites. For me it’s between a pair of these, a pair of Regals, or in the absence of these two, a pair of C. Melanosoma. I have seen captive bred Blue Lines, captive bred Regals will hopefully come out soon (from Bali Aquarich), and C. Melanosoma I have seen captive bred on a few occasions though not sure from what Breeder.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed well and everything but I hope my blue rings never get anywhere near 12 inches, the size live aquaria quotes. I feel pretty confidant one will be stunted. It was viciously bitten up and nearly starved to death by the dominant one.

angelsandtangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if we can expect Blue Lines (max 10”) to regularly reach 9-10” in captivity? What about Regals do they tend to stay smaller despite theoretically also being able to reach 10”?
I bought the one above and was measured before going into the bag it was 7 1/4 inches I’m thinking it will be 8 inches max and get some more girth ..

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the people who knows about emperor angels, if I buy one as a juvenile, will it transition to the beautiful adult colorations on the internet, or will it be duller because it’s in captivity?
Yes it will. Mines did just that. Of course it became a bully too and tried to kill my Scribbled when I introduced her so I had to sell my emperor sadly.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back