What a horrible statement!

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought an anemone that I cannot identify. There is a post about it if anybody is interested in helping. I will attached a vid for a quick view. After searching and searching and searching I came across a college biology Professor who specialized in anemones and has written multiple books on the subject. I decided it might be worth a shot to contact this professor and see if she might help.

No I probably should have had an idea that she might not be able to help me because of the distinct differences between scientists and hobbyists. But I thought even getting the scientific name would be a great help. And to be a hundred percent honest I was half thinking I would not get a response anyway.
To my surprise I got a response the very next morning. Turns out she was retired but was willing to give me her perspective anyway. Most of it was exactly what I should have thought it would be. "I have no idea about common names I only go by scientific names and I cannot help." That was served up to me with a nice story about what makes common name so horrible. She said she has seen anemones similar to the pictures I sent but could not identify the specific name. That was all fine and dandy until the very last paragraph of her letter which bothered me tremendously.
"Best wishes. Most tropical anemones do not do well in captivity - the ones that do are the ones we regard as weeds and want to be rid of! That is one reason I am not an aquarist."

My anemones are doing just fine. All 9 of them now. Some more than four or five years old. And they are beautiful. I have to admit I was a bit offended by her statement. I sent her back another email thanking her for her attempt at help and explaining my love for anemones and a bunch of pictures of my babies. LOL

The only thing I can hope is that she is a bit out of touch being that she's already retired. Do you guys think that current biologists would look at the aquarium Hobby in this way? Not that they are offended by it because I could totally see that in their line of work. But that we only breed the weeds. And that anemonies do not do well in captivity.

Just figured I'd share and see if you guys had any opinions on this.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that was her meaning because I completely disagreed with it when she said it. But you would think even being retired she would be up on anemones if it is her specialty.

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think she was right with that statement. Some anemones are so difficult to take care and won't survive in our tank (unless you can keep your tank water parameter as close as the sea's with the correct foods they are feasting). Those doing well in captivity is very limited to a few species and if they do, they are weeds and will take over a tank in no time. Forget about majanos and aiptasia, even BTA will split and take over a tank if the condition is right. I owned three color BTA before and they split so many times until I had enough of it. I took out the rock they are on and give it away for free.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She is probably correct - her idea of a 'great anemone' is probably quite UNcommon to the aquarium trade. To her a perfect Haddoni or Bubble tip anemone is probably a weed. In any case - I would bet she was not trying to be offensive. I would consider myself lucky if a random expert in a field responded to an email. Maybe you are a bit sensitive if this (your words) bothered you tremendously.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that it is not true on every case but in some instances there is definitely a noticeable split between aquarist-hobbyist and aquarist-hobbyist/biologist.

For example, one of my wife's cousins runs a respected aquarium here in FL. But the second we start talking aquariums with her she shuts down or changes the topic. Turns out that she believes the specimens should either be in the ocean, or in a research facility, not in a private hobby aquarium.

And I have run into a few others who have similar stories.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think she was right with that statement. Some anemones are so difficult to take care and won't survive in our tank (unless you can keep your tank water parameter as close as the sea's with the correct foods they are feasting). Those doing well in captivity is very limited to a few species and if they do, they are weeds and will take over a tank in no time. Forget about majanos and aiptasia, even BTA will split and take over a tank if the condition is right. I owned three color BTA before and they split so many times until I had enough of it. I took out the rock they are on and give it away for free.
I don't mind the extra $25 when my btas split. And could you give me an example of a hard to keep nem? All my nems are beautiful. I would never call a rose a weed! No matter how many there are..

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thrilled she answered and i know she meant no offense. That's what bothered me. I would lovery to know a nem that is harder to keep than the aquarium nems.
She is probably correct - her idea of a 'great anemone' is probably quite UNcommon to the aquarium trade. To her a perfect Haddoni or Bubble tip anemone is probably a weed. In any case - I would bet she was not trying to be offensive. I would consider myself lucky if a random expert in a field responded to an email. Maybe you are a bit sensitive if this (your words) bothered you tremendously.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not super offended. Maybe I overstated. I just sincerely disagree. I have not met a nem I couldn't keep. And it is always my target to keep my water as natural as possible. With the exception of deep water specimens, I don't know of any that are harder to keep than the rest.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actinostephanus_haeckeli3-ron-decloux.jpg

There are more than 1000 types of tropical anemone. Only a small fraction of them are available for aquariums.

I don't mind the extra $25 when my btas split. And could you give me an example of a hard to keep nem? All my nems are beautiful. I would never call a rose a weed! No matter how many there are..

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With over 150 species of anemones, I think I would just stop at what I have posted before. Just one question, do you have all these 150 species in your tank now?. In regards to the weeds statement, it all depends on what you enjoy and others don't. If you have corals and the anemones start killing your prized sticks or whatever corals you have, it might tickle your sense that some anemones are indeed a weed or should I rephrase it as pest. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don't want to "get rid of" any. Don't want aptasia in my tank but I'm glad they are in the ocean. We all have our purposes.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actinostephanus_haeckeli3-ron-decloux.jpg

There are more than 1000 types of tropical anemone. Only a small fraction of them are available for aquariums.
If they are unavailable then you cannot possibly know if they are able to be kept. That's my only point :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If they are unavailable then you cannot possibly know if they are able to be kept. That's my only point :)

And her point to you was the only ones that are 'available' are weeds. The other ones aren't harvested for the aquarium trade. So to her - its 'boring'. Though I have no clue what she was thinking. But - its common sense. The easy to keep stuff (and transport) is the stuff that is sold commercially.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whenever nems are not able to be kept or are difficult that makes them fantastic? And the ones that we are able to breed readily are weeds for exactly that reason. Bta's are beautiful, rock nems are beautiful tube nems are beautiful. Just because they breed readily and overpopulate does not make them a weed or any less fantastic than one that has not been kept yet or has trouble.
By that reasoning as soon as you get a fantastic nem to do well it is now a "weed".

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought an anemone that I cannot identify. There is a post about it if anybody is interested in helping. I will attached a vid for a quick view. After searching and searching and searching I came across a college biology Professor who specialized in anemones and has written multiple books on the subject. I decided it might be worth a shot to contact this professor and see if she might help.

No I probably should have had an idea that she might not be able to help me because of the distinct differences between scientists and hobbyists. But I thought even getting the scientific name would be a great help. And to be a hundred percent honest I was half thinking I would not get a response anyway.
To my surprise I got a response the very next morning. Turns out she was retired but was willing to give me her perspective anyway. Most of it was exactly what I should have thought it would be. "I have no idea about common names I only go by scientific names and I cannot help." That was served up to me with a nice story about what makes common name so horrible. She said she has seen anemones similar to the pictures I sent but could not identify the specific name. That was all fine and dandy until the very last paragraph of her letter which bothered me tremendously.
"Best wishes. Most tropical anemones do not do well in captivity - the ones that do are the ones we regard as weeds and want to be rid of! That is one reason I am not an aquarist."

My anemones are doing just fine. All 9 of them now. Some more than four or five years old. And they are beautiful. I have to admit I was a bit offended by her statement. I sent her back another email thanking her for her attempt at help and explaining my love for anemones and a bunch of pictures of my babies. LOL

The only thing I can hope is that she is a bit out of touch being that she's already retired. Do you guys think that current biologists would look at the aquarium Hobby in this way? Not that they are offended by it because I could totally see that in their line of work. But that we only breed the weeds. And that anemonies do not do well in captivity.

Just figured I'd share and see if you guys had any opinions on this.

Thats a nice nem, not that I know what it is. Nems do poorly in captivity despite the success some people manage. No one here breeds weeds lol what are they thinking. People kill aiptasia on sight.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back