What action to take for infection on wattanabe angel

cnote2991

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received 3 fish last Thursday 6-15. 2 Bellus angels and 1 wattanabe. The Bellus are doing fine. The wattanabe is acting a little more shy and not eating as aggressively. It is still eating small amounts and actively searching for food. I have coppersafe raised to 1 ppm now. Planning to get it to 1.5 - 2 in a couple more days.

Yesterday I noticed what looks like a bacterial infection on the wattanabe. Today it looks the same. No better no worse. I have not seen any evidence of ich or velvet. I was just using copper proactively.

I am looking for advice on which course of action to take.
  1. Remove copper and add antibiotics.
  2. Do rally baths and continue with copper.
  3. Continue copper and observe infection before taking action. (Trying to allow the fish to deal with infection on its own.)
I have ruby reef rally, seachem metro and seachem kannaplex. (Don't have focus but I could get it in a couple days.) See pics of fish below. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add kanaplex to the water now. Kanaplex and copper are safe to combine as long as there is plenty of aeration in the water to make up for the oxygen that the meds take up. I think i'd go ahead and do both right now. The rally bath is a good idea before dosing the water with kanaplex.

OP
OP
cnote2991

cnote2991

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often to do the rally bath?

Should I assume ich and or velvet are present? I haven't seen any signs but I know they came from a vendor that uses cupramine.

Is it more important to treat the infection or possibility of velvet?

I added kanaplex to the QT. I am currently preparing a rally bath. Will rally help much if the infection is not on the outside of the skin. It looks to be below the skin?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often to do the rally bath?

At least one bath - but you can do more every 2-3 days if the infection doesn't look like its responding to antibiotics.

Should I assume ich and or velvet are present? I haven't seen any signs but I know they came from a vendor that uses cupramine.

This is a difficult question to answer. Do you know how long the vendor treated with Cupramine and at what level?

Is it more important to treat the infection or possibility of velvet?

At this point, the infection. If symptoms of velvet surface, then that would take precedence.

I added kanaplex to the QT. I am currently preparing a rally bath. Will rally help much if the infection is not on the outside of the skin. It looks to be below the skin?

The fish's skin will absorb some of the acriflavine (active ingredient found in Rally). The only way it wouldn't help is if the infection was internal; in which cause you would want to food soak Kanaplex using Seachem Focus to bind it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 77.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back