What am I missing/doing wrong?

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason I can not seem to keep SPS. I have a 30 gallon frag tank and can not figure out what I'm missing. SPS will do perfectly fine for about 3 weeks, then it will close up and never open back up. My parameters are spot on, my par is spot on. I can't figure out what is stressing the coral out and causing this. Does anyone have any idea. The tank is fishless, but I dose nitrates, alk, and phosphates. I don't notice any large swings. Any ideas/help please!

Parameters:

PH/ 8
Alk/8.2
CA/450
Mag/1400
Nitrate/4
Phosphate/ 0.03

Konydiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding your tank? As in nutrition. They could be starving if you don't have fish.

Something like Red Sea AB+ can help or Reef Roids

Also check your Trace Elements - Might need an ICP Test to have a look at them all. If they are defecient, they could cause loss of health.

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing the tank with nitrates and phosphates isn’t the same as feeding your tank/fish and having it break down into these products. Along the way you have things like ammonium which are produced which are what actually feed the coral, not the end product of phosphate or nitrate. So I’d say there’s a good chance you’re starving your corals. In that case, either ghost feeding your tank to get these numbers up rather than dosing, or getting some fish, would be the solution.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back