What aquarium is the right choice for a beginner?

KeagN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Relatively new to this hobby and want to jump back in. I had a 20-gallon in my apartment before and I built my own stand.

5 years later I'm in a brand new house and want to find the perfect new tank. I definitely want something much bigger than my old 20-gallon. I was so annoyed that I couldn't get certain fish because my tank was too small.

I was recently looking at the WB Marine X 90.3 and also the Red Sea 250. Both of these seem to be the right size for me.

I'm mostly posting here to get everyone's opinion on those two tanks. Should I spend $2k on one of these setups or should I go a cheaper route and find a tank and stand separately and buy everything separately?

Any tips and opinions are appreciated here. THANKS!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! Going with a larger tank will often include larger expenses whereas going with a small tank will often include more challenges with limited space and water stability. IMHO, a 40g to a 90g is a good size to start, but budget and other factors may push that one way or another. Good luck with whatever you choose!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Relatively new to this hobby and want to jump back in. I had a 20-gallon in my apartment before and I built my own stand.

5 years later I'm in a brand new house and want to find the perfect new tank. I definitely want something much bigger than my old 20-gallon. I was so annoyed that I couldn't get certain fish because my tank was too small.

I was recently looking at the WB Marine X 90.3 and also the Red Sea 250. Both of these seem to be the right size for me.

I'm mostly posting here to get everyone's opinion on those two tanks. Should I spend $2k on one of these setups or should I go a cheaper route and find a tank and stand separately and buy everything separately?

Any tips and opinions are appreciated here. THANKS!
Do not go with red sea… seen so many posts on here with seam breaks recently. I have a red sea 70 and Im watching that closely. Wouldnt get another honestly. The glass in my 125 unknown brand) is way clearer than my red sea tank

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size is budget related. Don't go into debt for a hobby period as it is a bad investment all the way around. Buy what you can afford comfortably and build your own stand to save money. DIY is the heart of the hobby!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fluval Evo 13 as long as you go slow and do your research.

I think the Evo 13 is the best (available) all in one package that can make the equipment aspect of the hobby a little less daunting. That said it has plenty of upgrade potential for those who want to tinker. . .

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Largest tank you can fit/ afford. Check with local (non corporate) fish stores in area what they carry out who they work with and they can support. Having a local place handle delivery and help with set up is less headache than receiving delivery from an online order especially when going large. I've been happy with planet aquariums which my local place carries and works with.

Agree with avoiding red sea - have not heard good things about their tanks

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little old school I guess. I think 55 gallon is the minimum. Although nano and all in one tanks have proven very successful, I think the larger tanks are easier to maintain water stability. The next choice would be a 90 gallon that is the same length as a 55 gallon. When you go larger Deminsions, it seems costs increase exponentially and become a bigger factor. None the less, I love my 125 gallon even withe the much higher cost for the full set up.

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 75 or 90, personally and DIY as much as you can, it will give you a sense of ownership.

If these guys are too big i would look at a 40 breeder. i personally greatly dislike 55 gallons for a number of reasons, narrow, thinner glass and i always have trouble to Dissolved oxygen in these tanks. i have a 55 setup packed away in my shed but very unlikely to ever set it up again except as an emergency

OP
OP
K

KeagN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Evo 13 as long as you go slow and do your research.

I think the Evo 13 is the best (available) all in one package that can make the equipment aspect of the hobby a little less daunting. That said it has plenty of upgrade potential for those who want to tinker. . .
Is that a 13 gallon? I need something much bigger lol

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll say it depends on how much work you are willing to put in. The lazier you will be with daily, weekly, monthly maintenance the bigger the tank you should get. Also, how much research you’ve done since picking up the hobby should factor in that also. As everyone else has said, the smaller the harder.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting out? Rimmed tank, if in the US get one on Petco’s half price sale every three months (I think they have one now).

Simple. Reliable. Absolute best bang for your buck.

IMO go with 60 breeder or 75 gallon. Good manageable size, economical, lots of fish options, but not so big you’re getting into major water changes or special equipment demands.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loaded question.

The right first tank is different for everyone.

Depends on space, budget, time, and how lazy am I?

For me, a 25gal AIO was perfect. It allows me to tap out my tank with the best equipment for what I want/need that fits regardless of cost.

ReefBoost

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 16 or the Fluval 13 are great beginner tanks. Easy to manage, won’t kill your wallet, and some cool upgrades avail too. If you can manage the small volume of water and have success move to a larger system

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are great choices!
I don’t like the cheap idea unless sold as a matching tank/stand.
This is going to be around for quite some time so you want it to look great with nothing in it.
Like a piece of fine furniture.

OP
OP
K

KeagN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thank you all for your kind suggestions and opinions. I decided to just go brand new and got the 90.3!! I was really contemplating on whether or not to go cheap but I just bought a new house and I want my stand and tank to look as good as possible (I'm a minimalist) so I went with Waterbox.

1687218551376.png

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Fluval EVO 13.5 gallon and found it a very economical alternative and water changes are easy! I have not found it challenging at all to keep the water parameters stable - haven't had any issues with any imbalance or swings.

Smaller tank can be wonderful and a great start - as mentioned, water changes are a breeze, and making saltwater is much more economical and quick.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If space and cash are not an issue go with 48" to 84" and 100 to 200 gal. and you won't wish you went bigger two years down the road.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 126 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back