What are some essentials I should always buy?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I’m on a bit of a shopping spree and there’s a large discount on at the moment for my supplier so I have some money to spare.

I’ve got in my basket some GFO (Fritz Max Out), 20KG salt, some arm length gloves, a bucket for mixing.

Any suggestions on things I should ALWAYS have handy or things I may be missing as a newbie that I can add to the basket?

I’m a sucker for a sale

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kits and frag plugs/disk if you're doing corals. I also like to keep a spare of equipments in case it fails like mixing pump and heater

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things I always have on hand:
  • Superglue
  • Coral epoxy
  • Salt
  • CO2 Scrubbing Media
  • Chemipure Blue
  • Cuprisorb
  • Towels
  • Airline Tubing
  • Venom Steel 6ml Nitrile Gloves
  • Alkalinity Solution (I use Soda Ash, use whatever you prefer)
  • Calcium Carbonate (for dosing Ca)
  • Magnesium Chloride (for dosing Mg)
  • Frag plugs
  • Testing supplies
  • Filter floss
  • Filter socks
  • Chemiclean
  • Fluconazole
  • Luer-lock blunt syringe tips
  • 10ml/20ml/100ml testing syringes
If you use anything that has probes (Apex, for example) I like to keep a spare probe for when the probes eventually wear out.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like 2x everything could be on that list, I also feel like that list changes depending on where your at in the progression of your system. Your 3 items already seem fine but what stage are you in do you have back up pumps heaters and ato's, do you have a year supply of salt, a million things could be on the list.

What stage of a system are you in, did you just start it, is it big, do you know what you want out of your system, is it going to be fish only, do you have all your testing supplies, if you had a brief summary of what you want out of a successful system and what you think you need could help others help.

In the beginning (if thats where your @) I would focus on water, production and testing along with salt and lots of it. And a way to store it, massive amounts. There's never enough water!

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like 2x everything could be on that list, I also feel like that list changes depending on where your at in the progression of your system. Your 3 items already seem fine but what stage are you in do you have back up pumps heaters and ato's, do you have a year supply of salt, a million things could be on the list.

What stage of a system are you in, did you just start it, is it big, do you know what you want out of your system, is it going to be fish only, do you have all your testing supplies, if you had a brief summary of what you want out of a successful system and what you think you need could help others help.

In the beginning (if thats where your @) I would focus on water, production and testing along with salt and lots of it. And a way to store it, massive amounts. There's never enough water!
Haha I don’t have enough money for everything x2

I am about 9 months in!

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper power, prazipro, battery air pump, lots of 5 gallon containers on hand to have saltwater ready to go. I like cheap 50 watt heaters to bring the water up to temp. Test kits, reagent if using hannah, fish meds, glue that's been mentioned, garlic for picky fish, clips for nori if you have tangs, gravel cleaners, CA/ALK/MG, backup heater, fish trap...

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I’m on a bit of a shopping spree and there’s a large discount on at the moment for my supplier so I have some money to spare.

I’ve got in my basket some GFO (Fritz Max Out), 20KG salt, some arm length gloves, a bucket for mixing.

Any suggestions on things I should ALWAYS have handy or things I may be missing as a newbie that I can add to the basket?

I’m a sucker for a sale
Beer and Wine - to partake in while enjoying the tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back