What are Some Good Starter Corals?

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping fowlr for about two years now and am getting ready to move and upgrade my tank. When i get my new tank set up what are some good hardy corals that would be great to get started with? Thanks

coral diver

Old and Wise
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with some softies like Mushroom, Leathers, not rare Zoathid & polips and "I dont recommend" GSP (green star polip)

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are good starter corals in evry category. Softies, LPS, and SPS.

Zoanthids or mushrooms are very hardy. Most leather corals as well as Colt coral are usually pretty tough as well.GSP is hardy but can become a pain in right conditions as it will grow out of control easily.

LPS - Acans, frogspawn, and hammer corals are all pretty hardy specimens.

SPS - usually reccommneded for more experienced coral keepers but digitata sp and montipora caps are pretty hardy and can handle some rookie mistakes.

The biggest difference in FOWLR and Coral reef is that the conditions for keeping corals are not nearly as forgiving as those for fish only.

RESEARCH EVERY ASPECT before adding any coral and invest in the best equipment you cna get on the front end. These will save you tons of headaches down the road.

GOOD LUCK!!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not gsp? its so easy to keep grows fast and very colorful i would have to say go for it! Also green zoas, and stuff. if you want i could put together a killer starter pack for you! :)

OP
OP
92GallonReefer

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also give us details on equipments and water parameters
I will have a 92 gallon corner tank, an Eshopps wet/dry that will be converted to a Sump/Fuge, a Superskimmer 125, a UV Light, Mag 9.5, a corallife pc light 2x 96 watt, and a 150-250 watt MH (not sure what watt to use, it will work with either, or 10k or 15k any suggestions), also need to decide on some powerheads, im thinking of some hydor koralias.

As far as the water paramiters, beings the tank is not yet set up there are none

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def go with hydors!!! i have four k1s in my 55 and i love them! i would be using them in my 75(or 120 i might upgrade again b4 i move lol) but i think im going to upgrade to the k3s or k4s

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be if u can i would do 2x150s, i mean my 55 i have 2x150 and 2x130 pcs, but for now keeping just like the stuff i sent u, you would def be fine

OP
OP
92GallonReefer

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be if u can i would do 2x150s, i mean my 55 i have 2x150 and 2x130 pcs, but for now keeping just like the stuff i sent u, you would def be fine.also bc i have 230 watts of blue i use 10k bulbs and i LOVE the color combo

i will have 96 watts blue and 96 watts white, but do to the limited space on the corner tanks i will only have one pendant. im thinking of going with a 10k or 12k 150w MH bulb

OP
OP
92GallonReefer

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go 10k best for growth IMO, take it u didnt want anything in that pack LOL no biggie

yeah i just dont have the tank set up yet, i dont want to stress anything with the move if i dont have to.
i will let you know when it is up and running and if you have anything then i would like a few things.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool well hows this, i love to help people out, tell me what u want and ill frag it now, this way when its time to get it, it will be fully healed on the plugs and ready to go! just pm me, and if u say u want something and u change ur mind no biggie, you dont have to take it!

OP
OP
92GallonReefer

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool well hows this, i love to help people out, tell me what u want and ill frag it now, this way when its time to get it, it will be fully healed on the plugs and ready to go! just pm me, and if u say u want something and u change ur mind no biggie, you dont have to take it!

sounds great anything would help! Thanks. I will read up on them and find out which ones i want

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back