What are some uses for skimmate

  • Thread starter Thread starter enzo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Hay I don't judge lol.
Actually, I think it should be a great fertilizer. I may start dumping mine in the garden. Should be high in NO3 and PO4 which both should be good for plants.
 
Not sure how the plants would react to all the salt in the skimmate. It could create a concentration of salt in certain areas which might be bad. Although it might create a salt lick for all kinds of animals to come up to.
Good thought! I never thought about the salt being carried over with the skimmate. Could be a problem.
 
Not a good idea it kills plants
What will kill the plants? The salt or the skimmate or both. Because you can remove the salt by either drying it first or strain out the water. Either way it will leave behind a small amount of salt, but I'm still not sure.
 
It was suggested to me to dump some back in my system to help increase my nitrates, something I have not yet done.
 
It was suggested to me to dump some back in my system to help increase my nitrates, something I have not yet done.

No way I could do that!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new