What are the coolest "species specific tanks" and do you want to set one up?

Have you ever set up a "species specific tank" and if so what was it for?

• Yes for a fish

Votes: 101 29.1%
  • Yes for a coral

Votes: 69 19.9%
  • Yes for an invert

Votes: 67 19.3%
  • Yes for an algae

Votes: 26 7.5%
  • Yes but for something else (please explain)

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • No I have not but would like to in the future

Votes: 78 22.5%
  • No and not interested in setting one up

Votes: 56 16.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters

NaCl addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The saltwater reef aquarium hobby is FULL of the most interesting fish, coral, inverts and critters and that's why we love it so much! Sadly not all of these cool critters can live together. In fact some really need to be housed in specific Eco-systems sometimes referred to as a species tank. Some fish can't live together or be housed together, some coral can't thrive under certain same conditions as others, critters get eaten or some corals are just too invasive and so on! Let's talk about them!

What kind of species tank do you think would make for a coolest species specific tank?

Have you ever set up a species specific tank and if so what was it? Still got it running?

image via @Volitans67
tumblr_ml712jFpbg1qzbobto4_500.jpg
I'd love a seahorse tank some day.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gunna add another to my list of species only tanks I’d love to set up however it’s not a fish but instead an anemone. I’d love to set up a tank for either a sebae or condy anemone (or even a mix of both). I seem to see more Clown tanks with E. quadricolour than any other anemone which I find intriguing and would love to have a tank with just sebaes, condys and a clown or two.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can make at least a 10,000 gallon tank with no sunlight that is 2 degrees Celsius lol. Doesn't seem realistic.
What about this guy?
1654953744362.jpeg

I think I’d call one clide.

ReeferinTX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish.
Lionfish have a bad rap here in the US & Carribean, with good reason, but there is no disputing they are beautiful and majestic in the water. We have dove all over the world and in a setting where mother nature's checks and balances keep their numbers in check (like the indo-pacific region), they are wonderful.

And they taste good too!!!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAVE YOU EVER SET UP A "SPECIES SPECIFIC TANK" AND IF SO WHAT WAS IT FOR?
This question made me realize just how much I tried and changed my mind about while setting up tanks in the past.
Cold water tank
Shark tank
Octopus tank
Sand Dollar and Garden Eel tank
Lion fish tank
Splash Zone replication tank
This was all pre-internet days with a lot of trial and error involved.:face-with-rolling-eyes:
Wish there had been R2R back then!

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been waiting for this¡¡¡ My end game aquarium would house either a harem of wetmorella OR ghost pipefish but if someone gave me a blank check: I would build a room specifically for a tank to house this species and any other deep water gems. Can’t imagine the work and dedication it would take, but if pulled off correctly.... I’m speechless even thinking about it!
1C84C32F-47F8-4267-9018-591E2B006E74.png

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of tough having a species specific tank, at least for maintenance purposes. Tried seahorses a couple years ago and struggled with gas bubbles. Most successful has been my 5g Opae Ula (Hawaiian volcano shrimp) tank which has been up and running for several years. They're like an MRE, just add water and clean the filter pad every month or so.

My clowns rule my harem tank, but that has a few other critters to keep things in check.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of tough having a species specific tank, at least for maintenance purposes. Tried seahorses a couple years ago and struggled with gas bubbles. Most successful has been my 5g Opae Ula (Hawaiian volcano shrimp) tank which has been up and running for several years. They're like an MRE, just add water and clean the filter pad every month or so.

My clowns rule my harem tank, but that has a few other critters to keep things in check.
Are Opae ula still being collected or have they too been banned?
I’m curious as I only recently came across them and they look so adorable.

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Opae ula still being collected or have they too been banned?
I’m curious as I only recently came across them and they look so adorable.
It looks like they can be shipped within the U.S., but if you're looking to export them it becomes a bigger hurdle to certain countries.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back