What are the most underrated fish?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say foxface, but then I remembered one of my favorites. Keyhole angel. Such a cool little angel & big for dwarf

keyhole-01.jpg

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Vlamingi Tang is amazing and underrated. They have a grayish blue color tone, and are such mild mannered well behaved tangs. I’ve had 2 in my reef keeping span of 17 years. One of them I could pet and handle.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have these with corals. Do they bother them much? What kinds of corals do you have? I love the butterflies, they are my favorite fish, but since I have corals, I haven't gotten any. I did try the copperband and long nose in the beginning, but they didn't live long.
I have predominantly SPS, but a healthy mix of LPS, and a couple softies. My build thread has more details of my tank and corals. Haven't seen any sign of coral irritation yet, nor have I seen them nipping at corals. These two have only been in the display about a week so its too early to say for certain. This is my second burgess, the first was in the display with coral for over 6 months without issue. I haven't had much luck with copper bands myself, I prefer the Roaops, Prognathodes. I have been looking into some of the Coradion, Roa, or perhaps a C. Guntheri next. For the "with caution" fish, it always is important to understand that it may always come down to do I want to keep this fish or this coral. For me it is stocking my tank around my fish, not my fish around my corals.

I am a big fan of these resources:

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have predominantly SPS, but a healthy mix of LPS, and a couple softies. My build thread has more details of my tank and corals. Haven't seen any sign of coral irritation yet, nor have I seen them nipping at corals. These two have only been in the display about a week so its too early to say for certain. This is my second burgess, the first was in the display with coral for over 6 months without issue. I haven't had much luck with copper bands myself, I prefer the Roaops, Prognathodes. I have been looking into some of the Coradion, Roa, or perhaps a C. Guntheri next. For the "with caution" fish, it always is important to understand that it may always come down to do I want to keep this fish or this coral. For me it is stocking my tank around my fish, not my fish around my corals.

I am a big fan of these resources:

Thank you so much!

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow and green clown goby. I thought they would get lost in my 75. Nope, they are amazing fish. My little yellow clown goby was a fearless. Come off the coral and get right in the middle of feeding time.
The green is a bit shy. It moves all over the tank. Its always fun to try to find it. Two amazing fish. Cheap small and extremely overlooked. Great in any size tank.
I got a pair of yellows, always hanging around. One wil go after the other occasionally but they usually stay to their own spots. I bought a green but haven’t seen it for a couple weeks☹️ A couple days after I got it, it was in the far back corner at the top and invisible against the black background. The next time he was sitting on top of a flipper magnet. That’s the last I’ve seen him. I do have a screen top.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the bar goby is very underrated. I never see anyone talking about them and they are beautiful, very active and get along with everyone!
I have 2. One is shyer, it comes only out after the other has decided it’s safe. Until I fixed my overflow cover, it was always going over the grid and down into my sump.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firefish, any of the 3 variation of red purple or helfrichi. if any of them the regular red are easy to take care of, cheap, and are fun to watch swimming around from burrow to out in the open.
I have 4 red. Always in open and then they all go into a short piece of 1” diameter pvc at nite.

OllieNZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the shrimp gobies (specifically the Amblyeleotris spp.) are highly underrated.
Theyre not as active or flashy (in most people’s opinions but not mine) as other reef fishes, but they have one job and they do it well.
The Randall’s Goby is my all-time favorite of the genus, but the Wheeler’s Goby is a very close second.
I love my Sunspot (A. guttata) it's paired with a decent sized tiger pistol and it's incredibly cool to watch them work together to constantly re-scape my tank floor.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of yellows, always hanging around. One wil go after the other occasionally but they usually stay to their own spots. I bought a green but haven’t seen it for a couple weeks☹ A couple days after I got it, it was in the far back corner at the top and invisible against the black background. The next time he was sitting on top of a flipper magnet. That’s the last I’ve seen him. I do have a screen top.
They hide in and under coral. It may still be there. They can be difficult to spot until they get settled in.
@najer thoughts

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of yellows, always hanging around. One wil go after the other occasionally but they usually stay to their own spots. I bought a green but haven’t seen it for a couple weeks☹ A couple days after I got it, it was in the far back corner at the top and invisible against the black background. The next time he was sitting on top of a flipper magnet. That’s the last I’ve seen him. I do have a screen top.

I don't see mine for days at a time, I just looked for it and couldn't spot it, hopefully it is just very shy.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back