What are the root causes of Cyano?

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by aeras1131, Nov 18, 2017.

1. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

Blow off the cyano mats.
    Ignore the n/p. If it loooks dirty it probably is.

Don’t starve them. Don’t overfeed.
    I like diverse foods.

Aminos and vitamin c break down easily. Anything that breaks down easily is easy bacteria food.

Pods would be part of the breakdown and they digest tiny foods. Other organisms absorb nutrients.

I’ve seen many high nutrient tanks with no algae. (Sometimes mine lol)
    That’s about cuc and the toothbrush IMO. Ime

As the thread states it’s not n p balance , it’s limitation. Some critters love higher levels of one or the other and will bloom under those conditions and also create micro cilmates to encourage more colonization. (Thus disturbing the mats, cleaning)

Balance is the balance of organisms to stop one organism dominating the tank and not IMO an N P ratio.

To keep a healthy Reef you need enough of each to feed all of them.
    I opt for higher numbers , and oddly , don’t have cyano often at all.

Brew12 likes this.

2. bh750

bh750 Active Member

@saltyfilmfolks thanks for taking the time to clarify. So a few more Qs...

So is that good? We want foods that break down easily to promote other bacteria? Or is it the other way around. And can you gives some examples of good and bad types?

So Pods = good

So are you saying part of your maintenance routine is scrubbing the tank/rock with a brush?

Also, would it be best practice to remove ANY Cyano mats whenever they're spotted? I get that we will always have Cyano and its about keeping it in balance. So is it safe to say if we see a mat then its starting to get out of balance?

The rest I think I completely get. Again my goal is to try to summarize the great knowledge from this thread.

3. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! Reef Squad Leader Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor

Vitamin c , easy foods , yes. But in moderation.

Yep. Pods good. They break down waste. A member of the cuc.

I use a turkey baster mostly. I hit the toothbrush when it’s needed.

Yea , I disturb the cyano. And than kinda guage why it’s there.
    Sometimes it’s just we’re the poo lands. Sometimes it’s a weird flow spot. Sometimes it’s a food. Ya kinda have to use eyes and a bit of experience. I can’t feed LRS daily for example not marine snow. No idea why. I get cyano from those.
    The marine snow , I know was a really nice vitamin c kick. So I rotate.

And please keep in mind. My IMO on balance isn’t number balance. Having none of one is a limitation and cyanos and Dino’s and a number of other ugly stuff thrive in that
    So no, if you see cyano it could mean a lot of different stuff. Including a dirty sump or dead macros in the fuge.

4. Javier Leon

Javier Leon Member

I got a RedSea Max S-650 LED that comes with 4 rear pumps and the regular return pump and I added two Neptune waves and another no brand pump very close to the bottom and still have a little cyano on the sand in both corners and I have a lot of water movement I think with all this pumps. Good article but what should I do stirred the sand with the vacuum every time I do a water change?
    Or only in a big water change for instance I did water change today of 25 gallons in my total 175 but I didn’t stirr the sand this time.

5. MiguelCS71

MiguelCS71 Active Member

Yeah, my tank has always had very high nitrates and nutrients, but I have ALOT of flow in my tank so I've never had this problem

6. jason7570

jason7570 Member

Vodka, biopellets, vibrant ( although it does kill algae) ALWYS causes cyano in my tanks. As soon as I take everything out cyano goes away.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  7. saltyfilmfolks

Yep. All three of those have one thing in common too.

8. Fragzilla

Fragzilla Active Member

Cyanobacteria is the most adaptive form of bacteria we will find in out tanks, as soon as any nutrient parameter changes cyano are first to adapt and start to grow.

brandon429 likes this.
  9. brandon429

brandon429 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I think it’s neat they’re also cyclic.

Anyone here with a reef tank that has no cyano invasion still has cyano in the tank, unexpressed as a community (ready when variables align)
    Cyano routinely gets into, and out of, our tanks as part of its world traveler trait.

Requisite hitchhikers can’t claim that. No matter what any human did to nutrients in my tank...boost em, squelch em, imbalance em, care to test for them, invasive red brush algae for example could not come about because it’s dna is not in my system. what would flourish would be cyano, green microdot algae and green hair variants, by-rule associates of live rock.

When I see a cyano challenge system I don’t see a problem tank, I see booger mats doing what they were designed to do and I begin solicitation for page nine of the sand rinse thread in which no tank continued a cyano challenge after going through the machine :)

10. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Mats of cyano around 25 ft. In Caribbean.

[​IMG][​IMG]

brandon429 likes this.
  11. saltyfilmfolks

Please list your parameters.

;Clown

chefjpaul likes this.
  12. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I did bring back water, thinking of sending ICP

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  13. brandon429

Chef

fav post of this thread, ur pics.

That shows any way we try to eliminate cyano via an indirect, non grazing action, we're going totally against nature.

Nature does not dump peroxide into itself to burn out cyano :) so Im def not against cheating, but your pic frames so well why the various response people take to cyano control have so much....variation. including nitrogen and phosphate tweaking, although its a powerful potential control method for large tankers, preferable to meds for sure, its still not how nature balances cyano. it balances cyano by having some, in controllable patches. we're too ocd to accept that lol.

these groups find what they need, source it, manufacture/convert it in many cases, and to be cyano free is so abnormal

sitting right there among fine chem balances, nothing wrong with the settings, a little invader allowed to aggregate. so simple!

can I link those pics into our sand rinse thread its such a neat nature reference. credits included for sure.

chefjpaul likes this.
  14. brandon429

is that turtle grass around the bommie that's a neat neat reef man

15. chefjpaul

Of course, we here to learn and share together.
    But-
    Exactly, when I was diving,, and able to get the gopro from my wife, which was rarely, I tried to capture the "nasties" and critters we take for granted.

Ill post some funky pics in a bit.
    I have sone stringy, sponges and bacteria like pics from about 60-70 feet as well.

I used to only pics of fish and beauty, but all you guys got me into the ecosystem as whole.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    brandon429 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted