What are these growths?

Fluvous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some time now there have been these small, white, opaque growths on my rocks. Some are as small as 2mm long and as thin as hair, whereas the bigger ones are often twisted (maybe 2cm) and as thick as 1-2mm. My tank is rather old, so they must have stuck around for a year or two without being very noticeable. One end is distinctively larger than the other. I have never seen them move, and if they have they return to the same spot. I'm not even sure if this is a worm, but I will refer to it as one.

Additionally, there are these very thin, pale roundworms that I've just noticed this week that seem to hang around in my green hair algae. They are a little thicker than hair, but must be very long. I've seen them stick out about 3cm from the algae while still having enough leverage to pull on the algae.

My cleaner crew has died off (besides a yellow wrasse) and I don't know where to get some more during the lock down without spending a fortune on shipping, so this could contribute to the problem.

Does anyone know what kind of worms these are, and if they are beneficial/neutral/harmful? Thank you for the help.
Attached are the best pictures I could take.

Hitchhiker1.jpg Hitchhiker2.jpg Hitchhiker3.jpg Hitchhiker4.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the long thin worm in last picture but the rest of what your seeing are most likely just common Serpula fan worms..

591BBF6B-F149-4B0B-8CB3-D4DD2A6ACB56.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back