What are these?

Cardiak21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, thanks for all the help, well along with all the different pods I now see some of these growing on the glass.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z112/Casper802/IMG_0162.jpg

Can anyone tell me what they are? I know it's hard to see but it's the best I can come up with.

They look like a tiny starfish with two legs larger than then rest. Thanks

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when the eggs hatch they enter the water column and dont always find a host fish and attach to the glass. everytime i see those there is ich present in the tank

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic, but definitely not ich growing on the glass. My guess would be hydroid jellyfish, or more unlikely baby asterina starfish. Asterinas get mixed reviews.... some say they're harmless, other claim that they eat their polyps. I've seen one eating zoas in my tank, but who knows if it was melting prior to the asterina showing up. As for hydroids... the white ones are filter feeders that are inevitable in a new setup. However, the brown ones are extremely toxic and should be eradicated. If they are asterinas, they will clearly look like a starfish on a small scale, whereas the hydroids will be so small that they look like a white dot with hairs growing out of them. If they're asterinas, I'd pull them off the glass just to be safe. Google images of both to see what you've got.

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think of ich as the common cold to us, if your immune system is up and your healthy and not stressed you wont get it. but if your a bit weak you get it and maybe ifyou dont take care of it quickly it could get much worse. and damsels are quite hardy

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could be wrong but ive had them only when ich is present on fish then they go away with the ich. ph and temp swings can trigger the dormant ich eggs to hatch. this may also trigger these little stars to spawn, so it could be a coincidence. or it just may be ich

OP
OP
C

Cardiak21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at them i would say it isn't the starfish but I think it's the hydro jellyfish. They are white. Should I just let it be? or should I try to do something about it?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the white ones, I wouldn't be too worried. They tend to show up in a new tank, but usually disappear as a tank matures. If they start to get out of control, you may want to start sucking them up, but they rarely reach excessive populations.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back