What are those?

Mr.Kegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm new here, but have had a waterbox cube 10G since start of April.

My question:
I have some zoas(rastas) which have been closed up tight for a couple of weeks now.
Today I did a freshwater dip for 2,5 minutes and these little orange ish little things came off.
What are those?

I had the rastas on a plug for a month or so where they doubled in polyps, moved them to a stone where they where open for a couple days(5-7), then started to close up.

Best regards
Marc

20210914_211422.jpg 20210914_211334.jpg IMG_20210914_203810_85.jpg

OP
OP
Mr.Kegel

Mr.Kegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't. Those pictures are the closest and most detailed I can get with my phone, sorry.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what they are, although I was wanting to say possibly flatworms, but most of the ones I see have more of an elongated shape and are bigger than those. I also just wanted to warn to be careful dipping corals in freshwater, I believe it's really stressful on the corals. Dipping corals is a good idea but most people use some kind of coral dip that kills pests, and not a freshwater dip.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones in the last picture look like possible ostracods. (seed shrimp) If so, they could be hit or miss. As far as the first 2 pictures they almost look like baby limpets but I wouldn't rule out flatworms. There are some very round varieties like pumpkin flatworms for example.

OP
OP
Mr.Kegel

Mr.Kegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what they are, although I was wanting to say possibly flatworms, but most of the ones I see have more of an elongated shape and are bigger than those. I also just wanted to warn to be careful dipping corals in freshwater, I believe it's really stressful on the corals. Dipping corals is a good idea but most people use some kind of coral dip that kills pests, and not a freshwater dip.
Thanks. I know it can be, and it was my last attempt to do something before I consider them dead. Everything gets a coral dip(can't remember the brand) for 5 min before added to tank.

OP
OP
Mr.Kegel

Mr.Kegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones in the last picture look like possible ostracods. (seed shrimp) If so, they could be hit or miss. As far as the first 2 pictures they almost look like baby limpets but I wouldn't rule out flatworms. There are some very round varieties like pumpkin flatworms for example.
Thanks, I will look into those:)

OP
OP
Mr.Kegel

Mr.Kegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could there be a chance it is amphipod eggs? A couple large amphipods and a bunch of small fell off the rock same time the small orange dots did.

Back