What are you buying yourself for Christmas

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing. Christmas is about family not myself!

We did help my son buy his first car today. Man, I thought the housing market was crazy, used cars are almost as bad. First time I've been to a new car dealership and the used cars on the log out numbered the new ones probably 10 to 1. They didn't even have any new cars to put inside the showroom. They just had a 2020 model in there that had over 20k miles on it.
The used car market right now is horrible. I was helping my son look for cars and the only ones in our price range were held together by wishes and bubble gum.

I ended up buying a new car and am letting him drive my "old" one. I'm suuuuuuuper in love with making two car payments as a single mom. It's the best. :|

The supply chain shortages are having such a huge effect on so many industries right now. I hope they get things sorted out soon.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The used car market right now is horrible. I was helping my son look for cars and the only ones in our price range were held together by wishes and bubble gum.

I ended up buying a new car and am letting him drive my "old" one. I'm suuuuuuuper in love with making two car payments as a single mom. It's the best. :|

The supply chain shortages are having such a huge effect on so many industries right now. I hope they get things sorted out soon.
It’s amazing how it’s affected pretty much everything. May has always been the best time for car sales and my girlfriend is going to get one. Definitely not looking forward to it with how things are going. And we have friends who are looking for a house which is just as impossible

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fortunately I get manufacturers discount on vehicles and get huge savings (next post- I saved big $$ )

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just sold some property for way more than I paid for it :). So I'm getting all new lights on my reef finally getting rid of the old blackboxes. Got a 72 inch long 19.5 inch wide tank so still debating radion xr30 g5, kessil or reefbreeders.
Reef Breeders !

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My early Xmas present. ALOT cheaper than the current used car market.

image.jpg

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sold some property for way more than I paid for it :). So I'm getting all new lights on my reef finally getting rid of the old blackboxes. Got a 72 inch long 19.5 inch wide tank so still debating radion xr30 g5, kessil or reefbreeders.
Oh man. I wanted to buy a 65 acre property in PEI — wooded and waterfront, house, barn, and another outbuilding — for $85,000 CAD. My ex wouldn't get on board. My poor heart!

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. I wanted to buy a 65 acre property in PEI — wooded and waterfront, house, barn, and another outbuilding — for $85,000 CAD. My ex wouldn't get on board. My poor heart!
That would’ve been a steal!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I bought myself on Black Friday a Phillips sonic care toothbrush. I really dont need much as I buy something when I need it.
If this counts, Black Friday I bought my daughter a 2022 VW jetta _ not much to choose from. They gave her more than she paid for her 2016 cruze as used vehicle values have jumped 24%. Then I got $2400 supplier discount, Black Friday special they had of $1000 off, she is a college graduate - another $500 off and Manufacturer rebate of $1700
That was $5600 Plus her trade- final price with tax and rediculous administrative fees was $15,701
How could we pass on it especialy her having 8yr/75K warranty

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like an amazing deal with the current market! I sold 17 acres of vacant land 2.5 hours outside halifax for 27000. I'm guessing at that price the house was in rough shape?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would’ve been a steal!
Right??

I bought myself on Black Friday a Phillips sonic care toothbrush. I really dont need much as I buy something when I need it.
If this counts, Black Friday I bought my daughter a 2022 VW jetta _ not much to choose from. They gave her more than she paid for her 2016 cruze as used vehicle values have jumped 24%. Then I got $2400 supplier discount, Black Friday special they had of $1000 off, she is a college graduate - another $500 off and Manufacturer rebate of $1700
That was $5600 Plus her trade- final price with tax and rediculous administrative fees was $15,701
Oh awesome! My brother bought a 2021 Jetta last night to replace his Golf that was struggling. The new Jettas look awesome and are really nice! And that price?! Sheesh! I'll fly to you next time I need a new car! My first car was a 1989 Jetta and I loved that thing, crank sunroof and all.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like an amazing deal with the current market! I sold 17 acres of vacant land 2.5 hours outside halifax for 27000. I'm guessing at that price the house was in rough shape?
It wasn't in bad shape at all! I mean, I don't know if it would have needed a new roof, windows, etc, which I assume it would have since it was built in 1914. It was seriously my only dream, though.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out dead by daylight!!
My son made me get State of Decay 2. I'm excited to play the newer Wolfenstein games. I haven't played since The New Order!

I'll check out Dead by Daylight today!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through that same thing getting my graphics card for my computer. I’ve heard getting a car isn’t much easier either.

Also, your daughter is going to love the switch! Some fun games for it for sure
Man I'm trying to build a new desktop PC and the availability & price on video cards is stupid. The first time in a LONG time I'm considering a console system.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Saltwater aquarium gift card with the 10% off sale and a Hanna Alkalinity tester to wrap up for myself for Christmas.
Just curious who else has bought themselves Christmas gifts this year and what you are getting.
Sump upgrades! I re did my manifold in preparation for a new bio pellet reactor. I also re did the drain pvc to clean things up a bit
8F5D46C0-0A76-4FAB-9FEF-B6A2C49F0E89.jpeg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

I know all about this!
Thank God my daughters aunt got a new car and gave her the old one (2010 GMC terrain)!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

May depend on your definition of "soon". I asked the finance manager if corporate was saying anything about the chip shortage and he said they were being told at least another year.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be cheaper to fly out to your area to buy a new car and drive it home. Around here most dealers are advertising a MSRP price and then a sales price that is $5k to $10k more. When we were in the dealership yesterday all the salesmen that weren't busy with a customer were on the phone calling clients because they had a shipment coming in and were giving them a chance at one of them. I heard one laughing because the customer wanted to do a special order. He said those were shut down months ago. Some of their models were already sold out of their 2022 allotments. My cousin is looking for a Tacoma TRD and every dealer he has called said he could get on a list for 2023! Maybe Apple does need to get into the car business!

This reminds me of the whole embargo mess back in the 80s. Back then you had to get on a waiting list and it might be 6 months to a year if you were wanting an imported car.

Last edited:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I'm trying to build a new desktop PC and the availability & price on video cards is stupid. The first time in a LONG time I'm considering a console system.
My fear is my current card calling it quits. I would end up paying more for the video card than I did for the entire rest of my system. Our Microcenter has been having stock of the AMD cards but they are not at MSRP. I think they could put any price on any of the nvidia cards and they would sale out immediately. My understanding there is a line outside every morning of people hoping they got a shipment in. Nvidia has hinted that they are going to rerelease the 2060 this month to help with supply issues. From what I understand it is still a good mining card so they will all get scooped up immediately by the miners using bots.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back