What are you dosing? Sps keepers.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Troylee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
That might be it, the UV in LEDs are probably not the same coming from halides or T5s. I also added an oversized UV sterilizer to reduce dinos and so far so good.
I guess I could hook up a halide and a radion in my garage and put my arms under them for 30 min and see which one tans better! Haha!
 
How much work is involved in maintaining that ratio?

I think it could be a lot of work but I admit I am not trying to. I just track it.

I already have the Trident NP to monitor and I couldn't do that. My hunch is you could if you didn't have any fish, constant water changes, ULNS and dose nitrates and phosphate directly.

I pull my Apex data using their API via Telegraf, store it into InfluxDB for retention then use Grafana to display. Some like to exercise the brain by playing Sudoku but I prefer to play with data. So this is just sort of a nerdy thing to keep me busy in the mornings over coffee.

My nutrients are high. Nitrates range between 25 and 40 ppm while phosphates are between .40 and .80 ppm. I've run phosphates as high as 2.1 ppm in my system. I do not know how this would work in a ULNS system but it just comes down to the numbers I guess.

Again I only plot this to observe and correlate because I have the data and I'm curious.

1744907480403.png
 
That might be it, the UV in LEDs are probably not the same coming from halides or T5s. I also added an oversized UV sterilizer to reduce dinos and so far so good.

The UV debate is pretty contested if truth be told. Sort of like will the real UV please stand up...
 
That might be it, the UV in LEDs are probably not the same coming from halides or T5s. I also added an oversized UV sterilizer to reduce dinos and so far so good.
If i were to place an educated guess, i would say that is likely. The UV-C band in LEDs are not likely to be present at all in our tank fixtures, but UV-C light, specifically wavelengths less than 290 nanometers, is most effective at damaging bacteria by inactivating their genetic material, rendering them unable to reproduce. Metal halide bulbs have some materials in them to shield the UV spectra, but i bet a non zero amount makes it through.
 
If i were to place an educated guess, i would say that is likely. The UV-C band in LEDs are not likely to be present at all in our tank fixtures, but UV-C light, specifically wavelengths less than 290 nanometers, is most effective at damaging bacteria by inactivating their genetic material, rendering them unable to reproduce. Metal halide bulbs have some materials in them to shield the UV spectra, but i bet a non zero amount makes it through.
I was running the hqi bulbs so I had to have a glass shield for uv reasons.. the mogul base don’t require it.
 
So now that im going to do the AWC I remember someone saying that there was a formula or calculator to kind ballpark what your actually changing doing it that way. That make sense what im asking ?

I mentioned it hear earlier. There is a calculator that you can enter your total water volume, water change volume, frequency, and timeline and it will estimate how much of the original water is left or percentage of.

I can't speak to its accuracy but it is sort of neat to see what the numbers look like by changing things. How much per change, frequency (daily, weekly), and what not.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php
 
I dose money
Make It Rain Money GIF

and AFR, Brightwell Phos, Acropower (when I remember), and phyto. I will probably start doing trace elements soon.
DUDE! you just saved me every day i mean to grab a funnel to transfer my new phyto cultures I setup and every day I forget to grab one, and im to lazy to leave the house once I get home lol
 
I dose money
Make It Rain Money GIF

and AFR, Brightwell Phos, Acropower (when I remember), and phyto. I will probably start doing trace elements soon.
Don’t we all! lol..
 
DUDE! you just saved me every day i mean to grab a funnel to transfer my new phyto cultures I setup and every day I forget to grab one, and im to lazy to leave the house once I get home lol
I forgot to do stuff like this on the daily. I'm so glad it's not just me lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new