View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Changes...

Gluttonous fish....

Expensive Corals....

Filter Socks.. (Very Major pet peeve)

Maintenance ( has gotten better as tank ages)

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gone from the hobby for about 8 years, limited interaction with it at all. Somethings upon returning that drive me nuts that are new. Either new or I didn't pay enough attention before.

• Coral Auctions. The heck happened to having a website, you list, you buy. Truth be told, I know the reasoning is more money but still it irks me.
  • In the same vein, the immense focus on designer corals. Can someone please tell me why this Acro that has ever so slightly darker purple polyps is 400 dollars for a thumbnail sized frag when this near identical one is 10 bucks? I don't really care if it's Bob Supplementingmykids401k's Nuclear Blackhole Avengers Thanos acro. To me, it's just not worth it. If it's your bag, go for it but geez.
  • Don't know if this is new or I just noticed it. Fragging the moment a coral grows off the frag plug it came on. Let your stuff grow out, that's the beauty of the hobby. Successful reefs mean growing colonies. No one looks at a frag tank and goes "Wow". Okay some people do, but for different reasons.
  • The apparent focus on additives now.(Not dosing, I mean the fixer upper additives) Have a problem? Here's a product to fix it. What happened to letting stuff work itself out? I was reading something the other day and the poor soul spent months adding everything under the sun to try and work out an algae problem. In the end they let the tank run it's course and the problem went away. Can't help but think it would've gone away quicker.
  • The lack of affordable controllers/Monitor . Unless you're willing to go into home-brewed Arduino stuff you're spending 300+ on a controller. I don't need one to that's a Swiss army knife like Apex or the Profilux. Seneye is more in line but still. Give meone that tracks the basics that I can read easily, even if it's just like the old DA Reefkeeper Lite. Perfect! 100 bucks and I can knock out a quick glance to make sure everything is good and move on.
Now, instead of being full on old man yells at sun, I figured I'd list a few things that I like about this hobby.

• The people, it's really hard to find a hobbyist community in my experience that is as friendly or willing to help out other people more than people in the reefkeeping/aquarium community. Willing to give advice or even give out a frag or anything. Really not the common in other hobbies. With any group there's a few bad eggs, fortunately for all of us they never seen to stick around. Good stuff
  • The affordability of really great looking tanks especially smaller ones. This might be another one of those "I didn't look" things but IM, RedSea, Waterbox etc. All have really nice looking tanks that are reasonable. I had a petco special for my first tank salt tank, worked but lets be honest not the prettiest thing around compared to whats available now.
There's plenty more, but I just looked and this wall of text is long enough. So that's about it. Keep on keeping on!

Last edited:

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED light settings with no concrete tried and tested pre selectable profiles. I‘ve got an AI Prime 16HD with sliders galore and it even replicates the phases of the moon but apparently it’s too much trouble to include some proven profiles to choose from. Instead we get a very limited choice on their website, limited as most are for different types of light or some we can download that some random person made and uploaded to Facebook. It’s taken me many months of tinkering just to come up with my own profile that my soft corals are happy with and that is also pleasing to the eye but long term I don’t know if it’s the best one!

I’d be interested if you will share settings as I have the same lights and am building a softy tank!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is really a pet peeve but anytime I hear dripping water. Seriously, I jump out of bed if one of the kids is washing their hands. I've seen too much saltwater on the floor, I'm scarred

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I hear people call clownfish -- nemos and regal blue tang/hippo tang --dorys

Drives me mad.
giphy.gif

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying all these new fangled gadgets and they come with no way to mount the power boxes. So then you have to go and buy a power supply brackets. Case in point......Tunze ATO control box. Or worse yet heaters with 1/2arsed suction cups. Why can't someone sell heater mounts like the ones BRS never seems to have in stock.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is goofy coral names, e.g. super green bling starship chalice (not a real name, probably), guess you have to name them something though, shrug

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying all these new fangled gadgets and they come with no way to mount the power boxes. So then you have to go and buy a power supply brackets. Case in point......Tunze ATO control box. Or worse yet heaters with 1/2arsed suction cups. Why can't someone sell heater mounts like the ones BRS never seems to have in stock.
I love the gadgets, I agree 100% I wish they came with more options for mounting. I'm a huge sucker for cable management and man it's a pain.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • The cost of glass and acrylic
  • lack of standardized information
  • Not enough full Kits
By kits I mean a company or companies certify that the equipment will work together. There should be a website that you can go to and just build your tank that you want and know everything you need will work together no issues.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading a post where someone sick fish has eventually died, and people still posting advice on treatment, or watching it. I'm Like didn't you read the post that the poor animal has died.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate it when my 8ish inch hippo tang... my pride and joy... who comes to the glass and makes kissy faces whenever I come around... darts into her cave when anyone else approaches the tank! Especially the grand kids. They will literally stand motionless for five minutes (no small feet for a young child at Grandmas) just to catch a glimpse of her. We've had a long talk about this, but I don't think I'm getting through. :(

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 67 74.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back