What Camera

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone im kinda new to photography but i want to start with a decent camera that will do well and will give me great options to learn on. i have looked into the following: Canon Rebel XTI and Nikon D60. I looked into prices with a started lens and they were pretty close. I understand in the future i would want to get a macro lens. I'am very new to photography, i took a class a while ago but pretty much forgot most of it.
Im looking for opinions, even share other cameras you think would be great.
im looking in the 500-700$ range. Thank you
also i dont know how to do a poll. so i guess just post your opinion and why.
Thank yoU!!!

Preston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Canon A80 and it takes great macro pictures. I also have a Canon Rebel XT but I like my A80 since it's a point and shoot.

OP
OP
Sr5_Reef

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so far its canon rebel huh? anyone from Nikon d60 side and why?
Also what kind of Macro Lens should i be looking for

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another fan of Canon. I have the Canon 40D. You'll want the 100mm Macro lens.

OP
OP
Sr5_Reef

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would look into the d5000
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25452/D5000.html

it is about $100 more then you were looking to spend but it is a really great camera

it has a lot more features and what not then the rebel XTI
Well for a beginner will i need all those extra functions? I guess its the same as in the reef aquaria, you get what you pay for and you always want to upgrade. Maybe i should go with something like the d5000 and save up a little more change first. D5000 w/ lens will be like 1,200... wow.. haha

Gimili the Great

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a good solid camera for someone that is a beginner it will give you room to learn also

http://tinyurl.com/o3drh4 if you have a costco membership this would be a great option it includes shipping, 2 gig memory card, and will double the manufacturers warranty it also has a decent all around lens to get you started

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea don't get the d40 it's stupid to save so little money and get so much less. I have the d60 and I love it get it from one of the bigger stores that offer lens packs I got mine with an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm with a full 4 year bulletproof warranty for under a grand from Best Buy

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nikons 18-55 kit lens is by far the best bang for the buck in any brand. It takes excellent photos. BETTER clarity than the extremely expensive 18-200vr I sold 1 month after buying. I have the 70-300vr and it blows the pants off the 18-200vr in my opinion. 18-55 is also better than the more expensive 18-70 from what I have seen. You can get the 18-55 closer to the subject than the 18-200 also.
I have had nikons for almost 10 years but from what I hear canon is better in lower light situations. This can be a plus if you take a lot of indoor shots where you don't want to use a flash. I try not to use a flash if I can get away with it. More natural looking.
Comparable model nikons are supposed to be a little sharper than a canon. I also like the menu better on the nikons. Seems more common sense like to my mind. Could be I am just used to them.
You will not go wrong with either company.

OP
OP
Sr5_Reef

Sr5_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea don't get the d40 it's stupid to save so little money and get so much less. I have the d60 and I love it get it from one of the bigger stores that offer lens packs I got mine with an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm with a full 4 year bulletproof warranty for under a grand from Best Buy
I was leaning more towards the d60. If i get those lens that would be good all around photography, not just aquarium based right? I was told to get 100mm macro lens for my tank pictures. Im still looking into it, i apperciate all the information!
Keep it comin.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 18-55mm is the only lens you'll need for all around photography. That's being somewhat simple though. Yes a macro lens will get you much better tank pictures, but that's an investment down the road. Get comfortable with the camera first. Make sure you can take decent photos with decent lenses before going all out on a top notch set up. I take pictures of anything and everything and love the 18-55mm lens. Take my advice with a grain of salt though as I am not by any means a pro photographer. You just seem like you are in the same boat I was 8 months ago.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back