What can you "skimp" on in the hobby? Is there such a thing?

Can you "skimp" in this hobby on certain things?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 219 69.7%
  • No

Votes: 89 28.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the cheap route on everything...everything been in service since feb 2019
my 2 300w amazon heaters controlled by my diy temp controller
viparspectra lights
jebao return pump...no problems with
coral box wave makers (I recently upgraded when ice cap had a sale on 4K gyres, only because gyres Interested me for no dead spots...I still have dead spots)
my reef octopus 150int skimmer I paid 200$ brand new
my ato is a cheap amazon maxi jet clone and a 20 gallon aquarium. float switch ive had for 12 years
before I rebuilt my old geo calcium reactor I was using pool chemicals for dosing
calcium 7kg for 15$ and soda ash was roughly the same.
sump is 40 gallon aquarium
luckily for me the local big als doesn’t bend you over for corals they have sps frags 3-49$ The premium ones as 59$, I recently picked up a large frog spawn for 49$. Plus a local reefer that sells high end frags for a fair price.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say what? Stump remover?
Yup, stump remover is 100% potassium nitrate(we used to use the spectracide brand). Of course it's not as "pure" as some you can buy, but it's what was used first as a DIY alternative to buying a nitrate product.

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's like most other endeavours in life, the end result will be determined by the amount of attention and care you put into something. My initial tanks were topped off with tap water and water changes were very rare. I grew things, fish lived and it was a functioning tank. It wasn't until I went the extra mile with careful attention that I was able to consistently grow SPS and other hard to raise corals. It all depends on what level of reefing you want to reach.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimmer,chemicals,water changes,a sump ,probes and controllers....I run a Jaubert Plenum system...rarely do water changes...other than a 6" deep sand bed in the main tank -filtration is 2 cheap HOB mechanical filters and an eheim 2215 packed with polyfilter (skimmer alternative)...Everything is doing well...The plenum was hyped in the early 90's and then shot down by all the big ticket item mfr's because a reef could be run so cheap and easy..it works well if you set it up properly and leave it alone....alot of people will "poo poo" this post...but to yall- I wish you well and the thousands of dollars you'll needlessly spend ...to have a reef ,,,

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an expensive hobby so I have skimped on a lot of things. I made my own screen cover for the display tank. I built my own sump from a 20 gallon long tank left over from the 80s. I built my own weir overflow from some PVC. I do not use a protein skimmer.

I do not skimp on food for my creatures since you are what you eat! Also I do not skimp on water changes as that pertains to the health and cleanliness of their enviroment.

sr2z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have definitely spent less on my skimmer (about 15 euro) and lighting. A person does not have to be super skilled to make his own DIY lighting for less demanding corals. My zoas like it, my GSP likes it, I will see how my future Euphyllias will like it...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we change far to much water in this hobby and I also think a refractometer is a waste of money.
Buy a cheap swing arm hydrometer, go to a LFS and test some water using their refractometer, then draw a line on your swing arm hydrometer at 0.125 and use that.

Or do what I do. Take the thing to the place where they collected your fish. Jump in the water with it and draw a line on it where it floats. Can't get better than that and your fish will love you. :cool:

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word "skimp" really doesn't belong in this hobby but are there some things like equipment and dry goods that you don't have to have the BEST of the best of? But would not buying "the best" be considered skimping? Not everyone has the largest budget so let's talk about it!

If you had to "skimp" or spend less on equipment or dry goods what would it be and why?

budget R2R.jpg
I would say no you can not skimp on anything as skimp implys that you are not getting quality equitment or food or keeping the water clean aka you can buy cheap equitment as long as it is quality example the return pump I have is a no name Chinese return pump but it has a good head height quality parts and the last one I had ran for 8 years without ever being cleaned example 2 back in the day when leds were really jjst starting in this hobbie rather then building a light fixture with crees I used epistar which were crees without the name same factory just one was regarded and sold in the usa for 3 times the price so while you can go cheap yes 3rd example I don't test but once a year or if I see a problem (yet to happen) but I have also setup my tank with early warning indicators that I know if somthing is wrong long before a test will tell me somthing is wrong so you can not skimp otherwise your tank will not do well but if you know what your doing you can keep it rather simple and aliviate alot of the headache that can come with keeping a reef

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we change far to much water in this hobby and I also think a refractometer is a waste of money.
Buy a cheap swing arm hydrometer, go to a LFS and test some water using their refractometer, then draw a line on your swing arm hydrometer at 0.125 and use that.

Or do what I do. Take the thing to the place where they collected your fish. Jump in the water with it and draw a line on it where it floats. Can't get better than that and your fish will love you. :cool:

i just want to caution people about doing this as the cheap swing arm type readers can and will change over time and a lab grade refractometer can be got for 18 dollors about the same price as the swing arm types I used to use the swing arm type and after 4 years it was reading 1.025 but in reality the water was 1.018 and that's how far it got off in 4 years as it was accurate when new but over time just like needing to calibrate a refractometer

Also great pic hehe love it

aurora.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the Iron Triangle you get to pick two of the three at the cost of the third. If something is fast and cheap it seldom will be good. If something is good and cheap, it won’t be fast. Etc. Etc.

I tend to have more money than time, so I opt for fast and good. If my circumstances were different I might choose differently.
100% - I was going to say the same thing (only not as well). I am also in the camp of time being my most valuable resource so I can’t “afford” to skimp. I do as much high-quality automation as possible...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just want to caution people about doing this as the cheap swing arm type readers can and will change over time

This is probably true which is why when I buy a fish. I ask the guy or girl to test the salinity of the water in the bag with his refractometer. When I get it home I check it with my swing arm hydrometer. :cool:

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably true which is why when I buy a fish. I ask the guy or girl to test the salinity of the water in the bag with his refractometer. When I get it home I check it with my swing arm hydrometer. :cool:
That's a fantastic idea wish I would of thought of that live and learn

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. I wouldn’t skimp on lights and pumps because that generally leads to quality issues which will have you spending more money than if you went with the trusted brand the first time. Things like an Apex or even a vortech aren’t really necessary and there are many cheaper substitutes if you’re willing to sacrifice a few things. Same with dosing systems. You don’t need to run a Zeo tank or a Nopox tank. Keeping things simple/disciplined and feeding yours corals a few times a week will do the trick. Personally I’m not a fan of all these different dosing systems. I won’t deny that they don’t work but just not my cup of tea

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did say I don't think one should skimp on water changes but I agree with you, Paul that it is definitely possible to do too many water changes. I believe cyano and dinos are opportunistic about tanks that do not have enough nutrients and over doing the water changes is one of the actions that can contribute to that.
I also use a cheap swing arm hydrometer and have for the 25 years I have kept a marine aquarium. Like you I calibrate it occasionally at the LFS and I have never suffered any losses as a result of using a hydrometer.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's like most other endeavours in life, the end result will be determined by the amount of attention and care you put into something. My initial tanks were topped off with tap water and water changes were very rare. I grew things, fish lived and it was a functioning tank. It wasn't until I went the extra mile with careful attention that I was able to consistently grow SPS and other hard to raise corals. It all depends on what level of reefing you want to reach.

As a reefer of 48 years, I always got hardy livestock so I would not be overwhelmed with delicate corals or fish. I wanted a minimalist reef tank to be viewed. This reduced the impulse to buy more equipment, but instead created a desire to understand how nature supported these same systems. After reading John Tullock’s book “The Natural Reef Aquarium“, it came together for me. Instead of individual components requiring equipment, I choose a holistic ecosystem with reverse flow under gravel filter with mud/macro refugiums that recycle nutrients and live food. So, I have been doing the Triton Method for 40 years without water testing or protein skimming.

Too often overlooked in reefing is gas exchange. I use aggressive circulation at water surface and cascading water from display to the refugium.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back