What causes a Mag pump to start shocking me?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mag24 pump and have determined that it's shocking me when I put my hand in the water. I have unplugged everything else, so I know 100% that it's the problem.

I took the impeller out and found that the magnet is cracked. I know it needs to be replaced and that it can damage the inside of the pump if it goes to long. However, I don't want to spend $50 on an impeller for a pump that I can't fix anyway.

Does a cracked magnet cause it to put current into the water? Is it the casing cracked or leaking?

I want to find out why it's doing this, and then if I can't fix it, I'll replace it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the wire is cracked or the integrity of the pump body has been compromised. You say you've unplugged everything else. Simply unplug the MAG and if you are now not getting shocked, it's the MAG. Nothing you can do but replace the pump. Sorry.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Don't ever buy a mag XX . Danner products are as durable as they once were many years ago. Eheim and others are better.
This one, I got used... and it has ran nonstop except for power outages, for about 6-7 years. I bought an eheim....and the first one crapped out in about 2yrs. The second one in about 1/5yrs.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have unplugged everything else, so I know 100% that it's the problem.
You mean to tell me you tried unplugging everything else for each piece of equipment and just stuck you hand in randomly seeing if it would shock you?

That's hard core

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean to tell me you tried unplugging everything else for each piece of equipment and just stuck you hand in randomly seeing if it would shock you?

That's hard core
I can't describe the laugh I just had. You wrote exactly what everyone else was thinking. Darwin Award?

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one, I got used... and it has ran nonstop except for power outages, for about 6-7 years. I bought an eheim....and the first one crapped out in about 2yrs. The second one in about 1/5yrs.
what series did have and how did you use them? I have 2 hobby pump series that are one almost 2 yrs and 3 . 1050/1250 I believe.

OP
OP
E

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't describe the laugh I just had. You wrote exactly what everyone else was thinking. Darwin Award?

I didn't really even think much about it till I read the post.... but yeah...I turned off about half the stuff, touched the water...got shocked. I then unplugged the other half and tried them one at a time till I found the culprit. I have been welding for about 3o years, so 110v doesn't do much but make me jump a little bit. In this case, it felt about 4 times as bad as touching your tongue to a 9v battery.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a 1046 or 1048. It was on a calcium reactor.
Thank you for the data. I'm an electronic tech. and have been shocked more times than I should admit to.24DCV will bite real hard but 220ACV, well ( Ouch). If I recall correctly Calcium Hydroxide when Concentrated is very caustic to plastic plus. I stopped using Kalkwasser for that reason. I believe what ever pump you would of used under those conditions would have failed that are normally available for our hobby. There are pumps that would stand the test of time under those conditions,but would be quite expensive. all in all I would use one of those stray voltage probes might work here. Fun times huh. :rolleyes:;););):D

Back