what causes corals to swell?

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed my two Aussie Elegance's very puffy tonight, which is becoming a theme in the tank with a few corals.

Mushrooms, Fungia, Euphyllia, Lobo all randomly swell, my torches looks like a bubble coral tonight. They all seem to be growing and feeding but they do get puffy, not sure if this is common or not?

IMG_9313.JPG

IMG_9322.JPG

IMG_9324.JPG

IMG_9331.JPG

IMG_8621.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much dissolved organic matter or not enough? My tank nitrates and phosphates run very low I assumed my dom was low? (Nitrate about 0.3 and phos is pretty much 0.1) I have quite a few nutrient export systems in place running ozone injected into a large skimmer, bio pellet reactor, carbon reactor, GFO reactor, Cheato in refug it allows me to feed quite heavily.

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.

I do feed heavy... reefroids, LPS pellets, nori, brine shrimp, frozen foods. I have baby Bangaii in the sump so feeding them very frequently too. Cheato in with them gets halved weekly.

Found if I don't pile the food in the no3 po4 becomes undetectable and my zoa start to shrink, the Xenia will nearly disappear.

Trying to find the balance in a mixed reef is a juggling act.

IMG_9213.JPG

IMG_9125.JPG

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wager it's a combination of the heavy food input and the ozone injection into the skimer. Both of which IME causes LPS to puff and expand their tissues. The lipids and aminos in the water from the food can trigger feeding response and tissue expansion. The ORP is likely quite stable and on the higher end of the normal range from the ozone and heavy aeration from your filter system. I've seen a number of LPS corals in tanks with ozone injection exhibit almost alarmingly large tissue swelling even when no food was present. Could be a pH/ORP related response.

In any case, it's definitely a good sign if they puff up and snag bits of food on a regular basis.

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wager it's a combination of the heavy food input and the ozone injection into the skimer. Both of which IME causes LPS to puff and expand their tissues. The lipids and aminos in the water from the food can trigger feeding response and tissue expansion. The ORP is likely quite stable and on the higher end of the normal range from the ozone and heavy aeration from your filter system. I've seen a number of LPS corals in tanks with ozone injection exhibit almost alarmingly large tissue swelling even when no food was present. Could be a pH/ORP related response.

In any case, it's definitely a good sign if they puff up and snag bits of food on a regular basis.

Phewwwww!

Thank you so much, really appreciate it.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a number of LPS corals in tanks with ozone injection exhibit almost alarmingly large tissue swelling even when no food was present. Could be a pH/ORP related response.

Agree with you but is a different situation
When you have an high oxidation potential in a tank
Tissues of the corals are light because they need to find food and blow to find it
and that is a completely different situation from above

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They certainly good feeders, love LPS sinking pellets.

Plus the bubbleless bubbletip I bought is even getting its bubbles back!

IMG_9290.JPG

Few more happy corals.

IMG_8194.JPG

IMG_8818.JPG

IMG_8900.JPG

tinoracha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this form is pretty old but if anyone out there cares heres my two cents:
I visited SCRIPPS last year and talked to one of the grad students doing reserch on coral response to light and he was telling me that the ammount a coral swells is direclty proportional to the light they are reviving, mostly having to do with intensity. He was showing me how soft coral will swell up much more under brighter light.

Back