What do you consider an "AIO"?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a little backstory. Had an established reef tank running from 2004 - 2011, but had a big move, and the logistics of the move, plus the space I was moving into prohibited me from carrying on the hobby. Fast-forward to this past 2 weeks, I decided to share the hobby with my 2-year-old daughter, so decided to try and get into something "for cheap". An AIO *seemed* like a perfect option. However, this is where the headache starts.

To me, something that is All-in-one should always give you the bare minimums to get a tank up and running, Glass, Filtration, Pump(s), Heater, and Light... Those 5 things to me, constitute the BARE MINIMUM for an AIO. However, I've noticed that nearly no companies provide heaters, a lot of companies market AIO's without lights, and some even market without pumps. Do you guys really consider these to be "All-in-one"??

What I'd like to see in that lane of tanks is
Basic AIO: Tank, Pump, Filters, Lights, Heater
Intermediate AIO: includes above + Skimmer, More lights, Or some extra peripherals (siphon/gravel cleaner, tank scraper, etc)
Advanced AIO: Same as above but maybe a sump or fuge, or reactors of some kind, maybe some automation or powerheads...

I dunno, AIO just seems to be a term that isn't well defined, and definitely doesn't live up to what I would consider All-in-one

The most complete set of tanks I found that come close are the Fluval's, but none of them come with a heater... they do however give you everything else in my list of basic requirements... so that's something... and depending on where you're purchasing from, you can add in the optional recommended heater from them during the shopping process, so, that's at least a little better.

What do you guys think?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with your thinking. To me AIO just means that all of the equipment will be contained within the display tank. I wouldn't take it to mean that it comes with everything.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with your thinking. To me AIO just means that all of the equipment will be contained within the display tank. I wouldn't take it to mean that it comes with everything.
Hmm, I can see where some might think that, but coming from a technology sector of things, if you use the term "All-in-one" it literally means all things contained (and come with) this unit. Think All-In-One computers where all of the components are housed inside of (and come with) the monitor, or even all in one printers where they scan, photocopy, and print all in the same unit and it's a complete package.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in one in aquaria means a tank that has filtration compartments built into the glasswork, so that you won't need a sump to put equipment in. It has nothing to do with what you want to use as equipment.

What you're thinking of is a complete aquarium kit, which you can buy.

Just a case of misunderstanding on your part.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I can see where some might think that, but coming from a technology sector of things, if you use the term "All-in-one" it literally means all things contained (and come with) this unit. Think All-In-One computers where all of the components are housed inside of (and come with) the monitor, or even all in one printers where they scan, photocopy, and print all in the same unit and it's a complete package.
I can see your point, but I'm not sure that comparing how the term is used in relation to electronics is necessarily a fair benchmark for what it means in relation to aquariums. I tried to find an electronics example that supported my side, but admittedly I got nothing. My sons AIO cpu water cooler didn't come with enough fans to do a push/pull fan configuration like I did...does that count?

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see your point, but I'm not sure that comparing how the term is used in relation to electronics necessarily is a fair benchmark for what it means in relation to aquariums. I tried to find an electronics example that supported my side, but admittedly I got nothing. My sons AIO cpu water cooler didn't come with enough fans to do a push/pull fan configuration like I did...does that count?
hehe, no, that doesn't count... Now if it hadn't come with ANY fans, that would have counted, but it came with the bare minimum number of fans to have it running and working as advertised :)

And I agree, comparing to electronics is less than elegant, but I couldn't find any other sector of any market that uses the term AIO or All-in-one. There may be some in kitchenware and cooking utensils, as I seem to recall hearing the term in relation to that, but couldn't find anything with a short google search.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe, no, that doesn't count... Now if it hadn't come with ANY fans, that would have counted, but it came with the bare minimum number of fans to have it running and working as advertised :)

And I agree, comparing to electronics is less than elegant, but I couldn't find any other sector of any market that uses the term AIO or All-in-one. There may be some in kitchenware and cooking utensils, as I seem to recall hearing the term in relation to that, but couldn't find anything with a short google search.
Trust me I tried to find an aio cpu cooler that didn't include fans, which I'm kinda surprised doesn't exist since many people want all of their fans to match, but I couldn't find any.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in one in aquaria means a tank that has filtration compartments built into the glasswork, so that you won't need a sump to put equipment in. It has nothing to do with what you want to use as equipment.

What you're thinking of is a complete aquarium kit, which you can buy.

Just a case of misunderstanding on your part.

I wouldn't call it a misunderstanding on my part so much as a coined term (from other sectors) being used differently (and in my opinion incorrectly) in this sector. I'm glad that there seems to be some intrinsic understanding among fish enthusiasts and hobbyists, but it *is* a confusing term for someone joining the hobby fresh I think.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it a misunderstanding on my part so much as a coined term (from other sectors) being used differently (and in my opinion incorrectly) in this sector. I'm glad that there seems to be some intrinsic understanding among fish enthusiasts and hobbyists, but it *is* a confusing term for someone joining the hobby fresh I think.

Not sure about incorrectly:
All filtration and equipment in one tank, as in no need for a separate sump for equipment. Made perfect sense to me first time :p

Now if they called them all-in-one kits but came without heaters, that'd be different.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only PetCo/PetSmart would make an "AIO Starter Kit" ,,, DOH! ,,, sorry...

My previous PetSmart "starter kit" cost me $109 for 37 gallon glass tank, HOB power filter, heater, plastic lid, built-in LED lighting, and other stuff that I don't remember.
*It worked in terms of fitting your criteria of (the 5) "bare minimums you need to get started".

Not AIO because stuff was hangin' off the back (and heater visible inside),,, but, I get what you're sayin'

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about incorrectly:
All filtration and equipment in one tank, as in no need for a separate sump for equipment. Made perfect sense to me first time :p

Now if they called them all-in-one kits but came without heaters, that'd be different.
I get where you guys are coming from, and it makes sense (on the surface) if you think about it. But as I already stated previously, the other sectors that use and as far as I can tell actually coined the term use it to literally mean everything comes with it to have you up and running with it, which makes its use here in aquariums a misnomer, again, that's my opinion, but I'm quite sure others have scratched their heads over it as well before realizing. (I understood it on my own, but it feels wrong to me to call something that can't be up and running successfully an "All-in-one".)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can clearly see from this one obscure example I found on the internet not everything in the electronics sector that is an AIO comes with everything needed for it to work properly.
https://www.titanrig.com/alphacool-...diator-fanless-black-03-15-ac-0126-01-on.html
I just realized that technically it doesn't call it an AIO cooler though.

Seriously though, I don't think the term is used incorrectly in the aquarium trade because to me it means that everything is contained within the one glass tank, not that it necessarily includes everything. I will agree that I can see where it may be confusing to someone new to the hobby. I also can't image buying an aio tank without doing enough research to know exactly what it comes with though.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only PetCo/PetSmart would make an "AIO Starter Kit" ,,, DOH! ,,, sorry...

My previous PetSmart "starter kit" cost me $109 for 37 gallon glass tank, HOB power filter, heater, plastic lid, built-in LED lighting, and other stuff that I don't remember.
*It worked in terms of fitting your criteria of (the 5) "bare minimums you need to get started".

Not AIO because stuff was hangin' off the back (and heater visible inside),,, but, I get what you're sayin'
haha, but that's sort of why I'm questioning the use. The "Fish Store AIO starter kit" will be a cobbled together mess, while if Fluval, Waterbox, and other other "AIO" companies actually packaged together complete systems that are proven to work together, things may be a different story.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, but that's sort of why I'm questioning the use. The "Fish Store AIO starter kit" will be a cobbled together mess, while if Fluval, Waterbox, and other other "AIO" companies actually packaged together complete systems that are proven to work together, things may be a different story.
I believe Red Sea does sell a package that includes everything needed, and maybe others but I'm not sure. Red Sea just does is so they can sell you all of their brand equipment along with the tank.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But then they'd be just called complete aquarium kits.

We get what you're saying about other sectors using or even coming up with the term AIO, but that doesn't mean the aquarium trade can't use it for a style of product that fit a specific criteria in it.

Unless you can come up with a better fitting term for an aquarium with built in filtration and equipment compartments that hide the ugly stuff, I (and I'm sure most everyone else in the hobby) think the term AIO works perfectly fine.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can clearly see from this one obscure example I found on the internet not everything in the electronics sector that is an AIO comes with everything needed for it to work properly.
https://www.titanrig.com/alphacool-...diator-fanless-black-03-15-ac-0126-01-on.html
I just realized that technically it doesn't call it an AIO cooler though.

Seriously though, I don't think the term is used incorrectly in the aquarium trade because to me it means that everything is contained within the one glass tank, not that it necessarily includes everything. I will agree that I can see where it may be confusing to someone new to the hobby. I also can't image buying an aio tank without doing enough research to know exactly what it comes with though.
Haha, you had to dig deep for that!! and it does say AIO CPU Water Cooler, however, it also states in its name that it is "Fanless" which *hopefully* tells the purchaser "You need fans, or you need to know what you're doing".

I believe Red Sea does sell a package that includes everything needed, and maybe others but I'm not sure. Red Sea just does is so they can sell you all of their brand equipment along with the tank.

Yeah, I saw that, ironically, they're not calling it an All in one, and it's well outside the budget I set for my daughter's first tank lol. Personally, I think that the companies who are focusing on AIO's should package them complete with known working components, and they should be selling what they're currently calling AIO's as Aquariums with Filter boxes. But I may be in a minority here on a Fish Hobby forum :-D

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the red sea there are some nano tanks that they do use the term AIO, but it's the fact that they also say plug and play that I assume means they include everything needed.

My guess is on a hobbyist forum where most of us have seen the term AIO used the way it is for aquariums you probably will be in the minority. The best you'll get from me is that I see your point.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the red sea there are some nano tanks that they do use the term AIO, but it's the fact that they also say plug and play that I assume means they include everything needed.

My guess is on a hobbyist forum where most of us have seen the term AIO used the way it is for aquariums you probably will be in the minority. The best you'll get from me is that I see your point.
There we go! Plug N play. That's the term I was trying to remember. Works much better in the sense the OP is thinking.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hah, I get your guys' point too, I really do. It is however frustrating in some cases and exciting in others that as a returning hobbyist, so much has changed and certain terms are just different...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok only one more stupid example I swear. My sons aio cpu cooler didn't include the gif of tacocat and if your water block doesn't have tacocat on it, then is it really working as advertised?
20210716_190609.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back