What do you do to save Money? Post your tips.

shananigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI has paid for itself in drinking water. We used to buy the 5 gallon jugs from Culligan. Over $6 for the good stuff and we go through a jug at least once a week. Not to mention the convenience of not having to go fill them, haul them, etc. :bigsmile:

reelfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harry, What brand of Nori did you buy from the grocery? I bought some too *forget the brand* but the angelfish didn't even touch it.

guppychao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do that too.

I would invest in an RO/DI unit if you have not. In the long and sometimes even short term it saves a ton of money as opposed to buying it at the LFS.

also you can use the waste water for laundry, ( dont have those high profile, low water consumption washers)

OP
OP
Harry_Y

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harry, What brand of Nori did you buy from the grocery? I bought some too *forget the brand* but the angelfish didn't even touch it.

Nagai's Brand

Day one they snubbed their noses at it but it was proabably
because I was giving them Nori that had Garlic in it before.

SethSPST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to buy my equipment used. Still haven't got the tank set up, but I'll buy corals from LFS and reefers alike.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-I buy used equipment whenever I can
-Use the "alternative" supplements, ie, Mrs. Wages, Baking Soda...
-run my MH lights 5 hrs per day down from 10and 8 (this is huge since it saves on electric and the cost of bulbs)
-buy corals from fellow reefers

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make sure I really want something before I buy. I sleep on it at least 1 night to make sure I really want and if its still there it was ment for me to have it if not I saved money and it wasnt ment to be.
I also trade but not as much these days due to shipping prices.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make sure I really want something before I buy. I sleep on it at least 1 night to make sure I really want and if its still there it was ment for me to have it if not I saved money and it wasnt ment to be.
I also trade but not as much these days due to shipping prices.

Super +1

Buying many small priced items just to try them versus really doing your research and then buying will definitely save a lot.

Buying used is another major one.

DIY two-part or BRS isn't bad either.

Local Reef Clubs are the best for trading. Most times you'll get frags for free and more than likely you want what someone right by you has. :)

downhill_biker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Spend the money up front for a efficient pump. This is the one thing in our tanks that run constantly and use up a significant amount of electricity. I have 2 systems and a skimmer running on one Reeflo Barracuda. I cut out 5 pumps and replaced with 1 pump, using 20w less electricity.

2. Kalwasser, I love the stuff, and use it all the time. I have maintained my 350g system (heavily stocked on sps/lps) for a long time. I usually wait till early October when canning supplies go on clearance, and can get it for about $1/lb at the store.

3. Trade. I think that trading for coral is a win-win situation. It is a very cost effective way to get new things for your tank, and help other's get the diversity they desire too. I have probably traded for $15k in equipment and coral over the last 2 years after getting into the hobby.

4. Double Check. I cant express enough how much double checking and cleaning things can save you money. If your tank crashes for something stupid it will cost you a ton of money. Check pumps, pipes, cords, plugs, ect...Just make sure everything is operating and clean as it shoud be.

5. Talk with your LFS. If you see a good price online and your LFS has the same product they will often match the price, or at least try. This doesn't save you money on the product itself, but it does save on shipping, and the LFS always appreciate the business.

6. Buying Smart. Do research before buying equipment. If you cant afford the best, try finding it used. You often can find something that is much better than what you were originally looking at, if you buy used. I have bought most of my equipment used, and nobody can tell, cuz once it goes in your tank, it becomes used. I have saved thousands buying used.

Last edited:

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to ever go to any LFS and to not browse coral online vendors nor for sale threads on any reef forums. If I can do this, it works to save lots of money and is pretty much foolproof.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back