What do you do with your waste water?

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a water change tonight and of course made gallons of waste water while I was making my RO/DI water. We live in the desert and I don't want to flush all that water down the drain. I use my waste water for plants and for my freshwater tank. I have a 55 gal fw tank and usually use up about 25 gallons every couple of weeks like that. But, I still have quite a bit of waste left. So, I was wondering what everyone else does to use up the waste water.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of so much waste water so I invested in the Spectrapure MaxCap UHE 1:1 system. My waste went from 4 gallons per 1 gallon of treated water to about 0.75 gallons per 1 gallon of treated water! Much more managable but the concentrated TDS is much higher so I send it down the drain to be recycled and reused. My water and sewer bills are a little lower but my replacement costs for filters is much much lower as I am only running about 1/4 the amount of water through my unit now and prefilters and carbons last years instead of 6 months as long as I monitor their condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the MaxCap? I need to switch to that. My water bill is atrocious. Is it a RO/DI system? How are your parameters with it? I am really tired of hauling buckets of waste water.
Sorry about all the questions, but TIA!

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**** super cheap, its funny that water is still so cheap and there will be counties billions of gallons short of it per day by 2020 Yikes!!!

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the summer I run the line out a window and into the garden/flower bed. In the winter I just let it run down the drain of the mud/deep sink.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the summer I run the line out a window and into the garden/flower bed. In the winter I just let it run down the drain of the mud/deep sink.

+1 but for me, that is 6 months worth of waste as we have freezing temps from Oct to May.

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is happing to our water in 2020? Or is it only for dumb people who have built cities where there is no fresh water or not enough.

OP
OP
R

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas all. Hadn't thought about sending it to the washer line.
In the summer, we do use it for the garden.

I envy that $15 water bill. My bill is about $100 per month, no joke. We get charged an overuse fee here.

AzDesertRat, thanks for the link. Do you have the $799 model or do the less expensive models work as well without the waste?

Last edited:

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The low waste system is the $799 model. I previously owned the 90 GPD MaxCap and then converted it to a dual membrane 180 GPD MaxCap but both still use a standard 4:1 waste ratio. You can't beat them for wate rquality and overall long term cost of use though. I have a spreadsheet that shows your return on investment and in many cases they pay for themeslves in less than a year compared to other systems on the market. DI replacements get expensive in a hurry with some systems.

You want to be careful running your waste to a washer, the tub only holds so much water then overflows somewhere, usually on the motor. It does not work for the new style front load washers either.

Wish my water was only $15. Between the water and sewer usage charges, taxes, meter read fees, tariffs, environmental assesment fees etc. its as much as $100 a month.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My water bill is still about $100 a month and I live in Michigan. No shortage of freshwater around here thats for sure.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow guess we get something cheap then. 90% of the time its $13.16 a month but some months it gets to $15. Thats a family of 2 tho but even when we had 4 in the house it was no more than $20

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back