What do you feed a rose bulb?

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one now and want to make sure we have the right food for it. What are some foods we should be giving it until we have a pair of clowns hosting with it?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one now and want to make sure we have the right food for it. What are some foods we should be giving it until we have a pair of clowns hosting with it?
(lol)
We meet again!!

I did not spot feed my BTA's for two years and stay away from Silversides. They can rot away inside an bta.

Also there's no guarantee, that your clowns will let the bta host them.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it light :) You shouldn't need to spot feed it, but it will certainly appreciate it! I recommend small pieces of meaty foods, as I think it's easier for the anemone to digest. Things like a small chunk of krill, mysis shrimp, small chunk from any of your meaty frozen foods (LRS reef frenzy, RODs food, Formula One, etc...).

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated, but I highly recommend placing your anemone on a rock you can move or isolating it on its own island area. If you plan on having other corals, it's nice to have the anemone segregated apart from your other rockwork. This way whenever my rose bubble splits, I can lift the piece of rock out (cautiously as my maroon clown attacks my hand pretty violently). I keep one and I collect the other anemone from the rockwork and send it to a new home! I currently have two on their own island, but two is likely to soon be four. I've seen a lot of tanks that get filled with anemones from splitting.

I posted an older tank picture of mine, but it shows my rose bubble and clown off to the right on their own little island. The pillar is several pieces of rocks stacked on top of each other so that I can remove pieces as needed in case the anemone splits and one moves to another rock in the structure.

20171112_144049.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(lol)
We meet again!!

I did not spot feed my BTA's for two years and stay away from Silversides. They can rot away inside an bta.

Also there's no guarantee, that your clowns will let the bta host them.

Yea we know there's not guarantee they will host. Just hoping they do once we get them.

So if you don't spot feed what/how do you feed them? The frozen brine shrimp cubes that all our fish love don't really make it down to it.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated, but I highly recommend placing your anemone on a rock you can move or isolating it on its own island area. If you plan on having other corals, it's nice to have the anemone segregated apart from your other rockwork. This way whenever my rose bubble splits, I can lift the piece of rock out (cautiously as my maroon clown attacks my hand pretty violently). I keep one and I collect the other anemone from the rockwork and send it to a new home! I currently have two on their own island, but two is likely to soon be four. I've seen a lot of tanks that get filled with anemones from splitting.

I posted an older tank picture of mine, but it shows my rose bubble and clown off to the right on their own little island. The pillar is several pieces of rocks stacked on top of each other so that I can remove pieces as needed in case the anemone splits and one moves to another rock in the structure.

20171112_144049.jpg

That is a sexy looking tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea we know there's not guarantee they will host. Just hoping they do once we get them.

So if you don't spot feed what/how do you feed them? The frozen brine shrimp cubes that all our fish love don't really make it down to it.

I've always fed the reef with LRS Reef Frenzy, but @Daniel Waters has it nailed for you.

Swing by the Aquatic Critter and buy some LRS.

I used to spot feed them, but got tired out digging out, all the split offs.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a sexy looking tank.
Thanks! It's 72"Lx 24"W x 18" H. I wish I had gone up to 21" but the shallow has worked out fairly well. My fish care more about swimming laterally than they do vertically. The shallow depth makes it easy to work in. I've migrated away from softies and LPS and doing almost all acros now. It's just easier from a flow and lighting aspect when I don't have to try to keep too many types of corals happy that have different preferences.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's 72"Lx 24"W x 18" H. I wish I had gone up to 21" but the shallow has worked out fairly well. My fish care more about swimming laterally than they do vertically. The shallow depth makes it easy to work in. I've migrated away from softies and LPS and doing almost all acros now. It's just easier from a flow and lighting aspect when I don't have to try to keep too many types of corals happy that have different preferences.

We are working on correcting the rushed way we went into the tank (bought an "established" tank from someone). So we only have a few fish and inverts, one pulsing something and now the rose bulb. We've lost more fish than I'd like to think about but I think we are getting things under control much better now.

On the bright side, our sailfin tang, Captain Jack, is a tropper. I'm not going to want to give him up if he gets full sized :(

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bright side, our sailfin tang, Captain Jack, is a tropper. I'm not going to want to give him up if he gets full sized :(

Don't give him up. Tank upgrade!

I love sailfin tangs. I had one but he was a jerk to my juvenile regal angel. Traded the sailfin in. Got a purple tang. Beautiful fish. But he was a jerk to basically everyone! I traded the purple in. My regal and tank mates are much happier now without my zebrasoma tang.

Zebrasoma tangs can be very territorial and hostile to new fish additions. Use an acclimation box for future additions. Be very cautious adding new tangs into your tank with an established sailfin tang. It can be done but just giving you a heads up.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're set on spot feeding, get some long tongs, grab a small piece of food and place it on the anemone tentacles. They will latch onto the morsel. Sometimes anemones will grab onto food and will release it (which I interpret to mean they aren't wanting additional food at that time).

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your clowns don't "find" your anemone after a week or two, there are some tips you can try. Personally, I had to remove my clown and anemone to a small tank and then egg crated the area down so that the clown was basically forced into the anemone (which has risks also). She was then hooked! If your anemone isn't on a large rock, some people do this using a small breeding type container or acclimation box inside the main display tank. Just put the anemone and clowns in the small area together and they usually will be together in a day or two.

Some clowns are more receptive than others. I've had best luck with maroon clowns, but they can be meaner than the perculas and oscellaris types. Tomato clowns are really mean and get big. A harem of skunk clowns with an anemone I think looks awesome!

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine mysis and shoot some reef roids at it occasionally. I agree with above, I put my 3 on a rock island in the corner of my tank.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulsing xenia? If so, remove those rocks and kill it off. Or put it on it's own separate island. It's beautiful stuff but will be like a weed given time. It will spread everywhere.

It has it's own island off to the far side of the tank. I'm not even 100% sure we can keep it alive so not worried about removing it yet lol. If it does start to spread I've already told the gf we will have to clip it and take it out, maybe put it in the little 10G tank that all the butthole hermit crabs are in.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give him up. Tank upgrade!

I love sailfin tangs. I had one but he was a jerk to my juvenile regal angel. Traded the sailfin in. Got a purple tang. Beautiful fish. But he was a jerk to basically everyone! I traded the purple in. My regal and tank mates are much happier now without my zebrasoma tang.

Zebrasoma tangs can be very territorial and hostile to new fish additions. Use an acclimation box for future additions. Be very cautious adding new tangs into your tank with an established sailfin tang. It can be done but just giving you a heads up.

Oh he will be our only tang unless we upgrade tanks. When we got him the person at the store said we'd have no problem keeping him in our 75. Then I get home and read and see that at full size they need like 125g. He's amazing and hilarious. It was just him and the shrimp for a bit after the tank appoclypse we had and when we finally added some new fish for like a day everytime we would walk up to the tank, he would swim right to the front, look at us and shake his head back and forth like "NO" lol.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small foods like mysis are usually best, just let it pick up what it can on heir own, good lighting covers it's needs really.

There is a gaurantee towards hosting, pick a natural match clown pair

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back