What do you use for nutrient control?

• Total voters

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean it is based on organic carbon which grows heterotrophic bacteria? Or does it contain algae consuming bacteria?
It's similar to carbon dosing but it's essentially the bacteria that carbon dosing promotes. In other words its more aggressive than something like vodka or vinegar. But whatever it actually is it works very well.

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean it is based on organic carbon which grows heterotrophic bacteria? Or does it contain algae consuming bacteria?

It supposedly contains an actual Cultured bacteria "blend". Check out this link.

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a combination on my tank ... have an ATS as well as dosing of NoPox. This has worked for me very well ... but of course I have a decent size ETSS skimmer as well as auto water change - 5 gal / day on around 275 gal total water volume system.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's similar to carbon dosing but it's essentially the bacteria that carbon dosing promotes. In other words its more aggressive than something like vodka or vinegar. But whatever it actually is it works very well.
Do you know what it contains exactly? As the product is considered to be more aggressive as vodka it would be interesting to know what actually goes into the tank and how much organic carbon it contains. Carbohydrates as vodka are pretty aggressive in a reef tank and are known to be able to harm or kill corals if overdosed or and by direct contact.
I have no doubt it serves the purpose. What about the possible side effects and long term prospectives?
Does it contain other even more aggressive bacteria as already present in the tank? And what bacteria this can be?

Most heterotrophic bacteria are active in the remineralization process to fulfill their need for organic carbon; They only can use DOC as a carbon source and spent a lot of energy to break down the organic waste for retrieving the nutrients and elements needed. They use the nutrients released during the remineralization process they sustain and produce ammonia, phosphate, and CO2. Some heterotrophic bacteria are R-strategists and are able to react very fast on changing conditions and may grow very fast as they waste no energy in producing DOC, they use what is already present. If carbohydrates are added all heterotrophic bacteria have a free carbon source and R-strategists will grow very fast using up and depleting the nutrients available in the water column. These R-strategic bacteria are present in any tank and may outcompete all other life for available nutrients. As long as nutrients and building materials are sufficiently available in the water column. They will not only outcompete autotrophs, nitrifiers and algae! How a coral holobiont may compete with those R-strategists?
During the dissimilation process for retrieving the energy needed most carbon is released as CO2. Nature limits organic carbon availability for a reason!
Taking all this into consideration I certainly would like to know what and how much I am adding to my tank, certainly if it promotes fast heterotrophic bacterial growth and is considered to be even more aggressive.

Last edited:

Bender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what it contains exactly? As the product is considered to be more aggressive as vodka it would be interesting to know what actually goes into the tank and how much organic carbon it contains. Carbohydrates as vodka are pretty aggressive in a reef tank and are known to be able to harm or kill corals if overdosed or and by direct contact.
I have no doubt it serves the purpose. What about the possible side effects and long term prospectives?

There is a 315 page thread on it here:

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a 315 page thread on it here:

Must I read 315 pages for knowing or not knowing what is in the bottle? Are we talking about Coca Cola or a product we are supposed to add in an expensive and valuable life support system? It must have a lot of ingredients to fill 315 pages.o_O

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on which tank I’m talking about

But it’s mostly regular water changes with sand siphoning. Typically every week
Change filter floss 2x a week
1 tank has Protein skimmer
1 tank has a refugium

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Only use this reactor and a skimmer. Nothing else.

20200610_204104.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Zeovit system

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back