OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these. When you understand that we’re not looking for total precision and just a quick, close enough check, they work wonderfully IMO

I may get something like this also with the Hanna just to do double tests.

-edit- oof the reviews look REALLY bad for this one

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what Lasse wrote about refrigerating the Hanna regent, I have not had any problems. Just a few swirls before I start the test. It always falls in the range where I expect it to.

This is the thread for who wants to read it.

Thread 'Important findings according how to store open bottles of the reagent for Hanna Marine alkalinity checkers' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...-for-hanna-marine-alkalinity-checkers.893762/

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Hanna, and the past year it started going way off without me noticing causing a huge tank crash this past month. I replaced the battery, reagent, and still getting wack numbers, so I imagine the device has just gone bad. I am looking to buy something new!

Any suggestions on a reliable Alkalinity tester that is not super expensive, or crazy difficult to use?
ive been using Hanna for 2 + years, I have had issues with salifert test kit being inaccurate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, your thoughts please on the Hanna acid base reagent in regards to the following:
- Any point in mixing it or is there no reason to expect any type of separation to occur?
- Is there any chemical explanation as to why many of us refrigerate and "feel" like it causes the test results to remain consistent over longer periods of time (than without refrigeration)?

Most degradation reactions are slowed at lower temperatures, including air oxidation.

I don’t know if mixing is needed since ive never looked at it. If it is a clear solution, no mixing is needed, but if it is cloudy, mixing may be important.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Hanna, and the past year it started going way off without me noticing causing a huge tank crash this past month. I replaced the battery, reagent, and still getting wack numbers, so I imagine the device has just gone bad. I am looking to buy something new!

Any suggestions on a reliable Alkalinity tester that is not super expensive, or crazy difficult to use?
I use two Hanna alk checkers at once (both usually test .1-.2 apart ) also check the testers against the calibration solution. i also use the salifert test (less often) , and run an alkatronic on two separate tanks.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I got a new Hanna meter that reads DKH. I totally stopped dosing since the alk issue and have just been doing water changes. The Alk DKH has not been budging from around 5-6, so I decided to check the new batch of salt. It is reading 6 DKH :dizzy-face: I think this is all because I got a bad batch of salt from Instant Ocean R.C. :disappointed-face:

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna and Salifert interchangeably. I check results against each other when something is out of its normal range.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I got a new Hanna meter that reads DKH. I totally stopped dosing since the alk issue and have just been doing water changes. The Alk DKH has not been budging from around 5-6, so I decided to check the new batch of salt. It is reading 6 DKH :dizzy-face: I think this is all because I got a bad batch of salt from Instant Ocean R.C. :disappointed-face:

Time to restart dosing. :)

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to restart dosing. :)
Yes! Or better yet get a new thing of salt! I think it may be time to switch over to Red Sea. I just potentially lost thousands of dollars worth of coral because of Instant Ocean. I guess I should start testing a new thing of salt before using it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back