What do you use to check Alkalinity?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Hanna, and the past year it started going way off without me noticing causing a huge tank crash this past month. I replaced the battery, reagent, and still getting wack numbers, so I imagine the device has just gone bad. I am looking to buy something new!

Any suggestions on a reliable Alkalinity tester that is not super expensive, or crazy difficult to use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a pH meter, a DIY alk test it likely cheaper and more accurate than hobby kits. All you need to buy is a standard acid.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Hanna for 4 years on both of my tanks without any real issues. Make sure you shake the reagent before using. If you get a wacky reading, try using a new reagent in case the old one has gone bad. I also have a Trident and the Hanna is typically a bit higher than the Trident reading so i just average them out. I use Hanna now only 2x a week to make sure my Trident is giving me a wack reading.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a pH meter, a DIY alk test it likely cheaper and more accurate than hobby kits. All you need to buy is a standard acid.

Thank you Randy. Any good pH meters you recommend? I know Hannas has bad reviews. Seems Hanna is really hit or miss. I personally love their digital temp device.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Hanna for 4 years on both of my tanks without any real issues. Make sure you shake the reagent before using. If you get a wacky reading, try using a new reagent in case the old one has gone bad. I also have a Trident and the Hanna is typically a bit higher than the Trident reading so i just average them out. I use Hanna now only 2x a week to make sure my Trident is giving me a wack reading.
That makes me feel better. I don't think it said anywhere in the instructions to shake the reagent, just to shake the little glass vile 5 times before doing the test.

Just to double check also when you're ready to get the alk number at the end you are just supposed to click the button, right? Some of the other Hannas you hold the button and it counts down a timer than gives you a reading. I have always thought it strange the Alk. one doesn't say to do this in the instructions.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally just go by my trident reading, but as for other tests I also used to always rely on my Hanna but I started having inconsistencies between different reagent bottles. So normally when I do a manual test now I just use my Red Sea test kit. It’s easy to read the color change IME.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a Trident, but as of now totally out of the question for me. I need to take a day and find a local hobbyist who doesn't mind me coming over and double checking my Hanna readings with theirs to make sure I am getting it dialed in. The way I found out my Hanna was totally off was by going to a someone with a trident!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love a Trident, but as of now totally out of the question for me. I need to take a day and find a local hobbyist who doesn't mind me coming over and double checking my Hanna readings with theirs to make sure I am getting it dialed in. The way I found out my Hanna was totally off was by going to a someone with a trident!

Can you make up some new water and test it with the Hanna? Depending on what salt you use, we can get you close to what new water should read with that salt. Not totally a guarantee but if it’s off 3-4dkh, you have your answer that the Hanna is bad

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you make up some new water and test it with the Hanna? Depending on what salt you use, we can get you close to what new water should read with that salt. Not totally a guarantee but if it’s off 3-4dkh, you have your answer that the Hanna is bad
I was trying that last night and getting crazy numbers. 30-40 when I would test newly made saltwater from Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I just found out from this post though I was supposed to shake the reagent which I had never done in the past.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was trying that last night and getting crazy numbers. 30-40 when I would test newly made saltwater from Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I just found out from this post though I was supposed to shake the reagent which I had never done in the past.

If you can make up some new water and use roughly 161 grams of IORC per gallon of water. It’s well worth weighing it for this test. Reef Crystals may need a few hours to properly dissolve and mix. Then check salinity and alkalinity. Report back and we should hopefully have some answers after those tests.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to double check also when you're ready to get the alk number at the end you are just supposed to click the button, right? Some of the other Hannas you hold the button and it counts down a timer than gives you a reading. I have always thought it strange the Alk. one doesn't say to do this in the instructions.
This is correct. Also I always shake the reagent and I keep mine refrigerated. It doesn't say refrigerate to but I read somewhere here about someone doing it so I figured why not. I've been keeping it cool for probably a year or so with no surprising results so I guess that's the same as good results :thinking-face: I also keep a salifert kit just in case I get a very strange reading. I test 3 tanks and love the convience of the Hanna alk as it's the test I run most often.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can make up some new water and use roughly 161 grams of IORC per gallon of water. It’s well worth weighing it for this test. Reef Crystals may need a few hours to properly dissolve and mix. Then check salinity and alkalinity. Report back and we should hopefully have some answers after those tests.
I never knew I had to wait for the new saltwater to settle before testing. The water I tested last night was sitting out for a few days though. Why would it read 30-40?? Theoretically Instant Ocean RC should be testing at around 11-13. I had made sure the salinity was 1.026, and the temperature was 77F.

Could this just all be from the fact I never shook the reagent?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct. Also I always shake the reagent and I keep mine refrigerated. It doesn't say refrigerate to but I read somewhere here about someone doing it so I figured why not. I've been keeping it cool for probably a year or so with no surprising results so I guess that's the same as good results :thinking-face: I also keep a salifert kit just in case I get a very strange reading. I test 3 tanks and love the convience of the Hanna alk as it's the test I run most often.
Appreciate the reply. I read this after posting my last reply. I will try to test the new batch of saltwater I made today when I get home. Hopefully with me shaking the bottle, new reagent, new battery - it starts reading around 10-13.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna first then backed by Salifert. I learned that Hanna reagents fluctuate, so before a bottle runs out, I test my tank twice. Once with the last bit of the old bottle and again with a new bottle. I then calculate the difference (usually +/- 0.1 or 0.2) and write that on the new bottle. If the old bottle tests 7.5 and the new bottle tests 7.6, I take that +0.1 into consideration for the life of the new bottle. So a test with the new bottle and result of 7.6, I subtract 0.1 to make 7.5 as my “run rate” total and do not react adversely. I backup check with Salifert if the reading seems really whack. Hope that helps!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna for me because it's quick/easy but, also, I'm color blind.
Salifert for backup employing a helper (for colors).

Reagent issues seem to be the biggest complaint with Hanna.
I refrigerate based on reading on here and think it helps but haven't tried not refrigerating for a long time.
*too scared of bubbles from shaking (right before testing) but kind of swirl it a little before even though directions don't say anything about this so unsure if any type of separation in the reagent components is really even possible

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there really any difference in terms of reputability or accuracy between a Hanna Alkalinity tester, and Red Sea one? I am hoping I can figure out how to get my current one working fine. I guess I will try a new reagent again, slightly swirl the reagent, and see if this does it. If not I have to buy something else because I see no other way to fix the current Hanna device after this troubleshooting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back