What do you use to check Alkalinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there really any difference in terms of reputability or accuracy between a Hanna Alkalinity tester, and Red Sea one? I am hoping I can figure out how to get my current one working fine. I guess I will try a new reagent again, slightly swirl the reagent, and see if this does it. If not I have to buy something else because I see no other way to fix the current Hanna device after this troubleshooting.

The Red Sea works well.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home a little bit ago. I re-did the test on a new batch of saltwater I made yesterday, and made sure I did everything right - cleaning the glass, slightly shaking the reagent, etc. The reading again came out at 30.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got home a little bit ago. I re-did the test on a new batch of saltwater I made yesterday, and made sure I did everything right - cleaning the glass, slightly shaking the reagent, etc. The reading again came out at 30.
What are you using to check the Salinity of the new water?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to check the Salinity of the new water?
Milwaukee digital salinity reader. I periodically calibrate it, and got it checked from my friends Hanna digital salt reader.

When you get the reading from the Hanna Alk Tester - do you have to convert it at all? Or it reads straight to DKH.

Last edited:

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've used the hanna alkalinity checker for a long time. This year I started noticing inconsistent readings. I shake my reagent & store it in the fridge. Honestly not confident in the checker any longer, I can get repeatable results with salifert test so usually just use the salifert test now

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me feel better. I don't think it said anywhere in the instructions to shake the reagent, just to shake the little glass vile 5 times before doing the test.

Just to double check also when you're ready to get the alk number at the end you are just supposed to click the button, right? Some of the other Hannas you hold the button and it counts down a timer than gives you a reading. I have always thought it strange the Alk. one doesn't say to do this in the instructions.
Ya, with Alk checker, just push button.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the Hanna requires is an acid base reaction, which are among the fastest chemical reactions known. As fast as you can mix it in. the reaction is complete.

Other test methods, such as calcium or nitrate, require other chemical steps to be taking place to allow proper color development, and thus can be slower.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the Hanna requires is an acid base reaction, which are among the fastest chemical reactions known. As fast as you can mix it in. the reaction is complete.

Other test methods, such as calcium or nitrate, require other chemical steps to be taking place to allow proper color development, and thus can be slower.
Randy, your thoughts please on the Hanna acid base reagent in regards to the following:
- Any point in mixing it or is there no reason to expect any type of separation to occur?
- Is there any chemical explanation as to why many of us refrigerate and "feel" like it causes the test results to remain consistent over longer periods of time (than without refrigeration)?

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna sells different models that read in different units but they do sell one that reads in dKH -- that's what I use.
Ahhh I did not even notice this. I have the PPM one, not the DKH one. Why would they not just make one unit that reads in DKH?! Maybe I have an old one before they switched to DKH? I think this thing is 10-15 years old. May be time for a new one lol..

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahhh I did not even notice this. I have the PPM one, not the DKH one. Why would they not just make one unit that reads in DKH?! Maybe I have an old one before they switched to DKH? I think this thing is 10-15 years old. May be time for a new one lol..
my first was in ppm, dkh unit came much later

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Salifert for years and it was very easy. Consistent too.

Now I use KH director to test it twice daily for me. It's much easier but not nearly as cheap. But now I can control alk from around the world... peace of mind.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Salifert for years and it was very easy. Consistent too.

Now I use KH director to test it twice daily for me. It's much easier but not nearly as cheap. But now I can control alk from around the world... peace of mind.
Do you mean because you have an auto-doser?

bozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Trident for auto testing. Salifert for manual testing and when I’m really not in the mood, those little 5 in 1 test strips. It gets me plenty close to see if my Trident is reading oddly.
Can you link the test strips?

Thanks

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you link the test strips?

Thanks
I use these. When you understand that we’re not looking for total precision and just a quick, close enough check, they work wonderfully IMO

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back