What eats bubble algae.

lostmojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im facing a pretty bad break out of bubble algae..
I'm very hesitant to use Vibrant after the scandal came out about what was actually in their product (doesn't help that the company has remained silent and refused to comment on the matter). My tank just barely reached the 1 year mark and I'd hate to crash it now with a product that so many people have said killed their coral.
im facing a pretty sudden break out of bubble algae in a new tank. im trying to get rid of it, what was the deal with vibrant? im out of the loop on that. i was considering it but i would like to avoid bad stuff as much as possible, and i hate medicating my tanks if i can avoid it.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

im facing a pretty sudden break out of bubble algae in a new tank. im trying to get rid of it, what was the deal with vibrant? im out of the loop on that. i was considering it but i would like to avoid bad stuff as much as possible, and i hate medicating my tanks if i can avoid it.
It is algaefix at 2x the price while claiming to be a bacterial product (they have updated the label on the website after the epa hit them).

Largest risk with it is when you stop and have a sterile tank free of micro flora and Dino’s take over.

lostmojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is algaefix at 2x the price while claiming to be a bacterial product (they have updated the label on the website after the epa hit them).

Largest risk with it is when you stop and have a sterile tank free of micro flora and Dino’s take over.
When i stop, should i buy some copepods and restock those, and let the current cleanup crew take care of it? I dont have any fish or coral yet, just some hermits and snails currently. Major water changes needed after i stop it before i move forward?

Bigfish502

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What a.t.t.r said but also a large number people have reported corals getting hit hard after the treatment with some even dying. A friend of mine has theorized that stuff could be killing the symbiotic algae inside the Coral's flesh.

lostmojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a.t.t.r said but also a large number people have reported corals getting hit hard after the treatment with some even dying. A friend of mine has theorized that stuff could be killing the symbiotic algae inside the Coral's flesh.
Okay, i dont have corals yet, im trying to get past some of the ugly phases without them for these kinds of things.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, i dont have corals yet, im trying to get past some of the ugly phases without them for these kinds of things.
If you are still in the ugly phases chemicals will just trap you in an endless ugly cycle. Just ride it out. Nutrient export in this case.

Wait you don’t have coral? Just kill the lights for a bit or switch to blue only.

lostmojo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still in the ugly phases chemicals will just trap you in an endless ugly cycle. Just ride it out. Nutrient export in this case.

Wait you don’t have coral? Just kill the lights for a bit or switch to blue only.
Does the blue spectrum's not grow bubble algae? Im trying to not do a full lights out to keep the current clean up crew happy. I could probably go two or three days without lights to give the emerald crabs a few days to work on it.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the blue spectrum's not grow bubble algae? Im trying to not do a full lights out to keep the current clean up crew happy. I could probably go two or three days without lights to give the emerald crabs a few days to work on it.
Blue does not grow as much.. cut the lights back in intensity at the very least

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b Nem tank with a pair of clowns and lots of live rock. The LR had lots of bubble algae and Aiptasia. Most of the rock has zoa's as well. Don't really want those zoas. I moved some of the LR to my 220G DT and noticed the butterfly eating the Aiptasia. So I have been taking the LR that did not have the BTA's and moved them to the 220DT to let the butterfly eat off Aiptasia. The butterfly has been destroying the Aiptasia but surprised me was that my two lunar wrasse were attacking the bubble algae. They have eaten all of the bubble algae off all the LR I have moved in there and then back to the 40b. The tangs have ignored the bubble algae except for the times when the lunars will knock lose one of the globes of bubble algae and then my Naso would dive bomb the single globes when they would float in the WC. I am just surprised by the lunars. I have never heard of wrasse eating bubble algae, but they are cleaning all the rock that I put in.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back