What eats cyano?

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a low flow high nutrient tank and I would like a CUC that eats cyano. I dont want to lower feeding, change lighting or flow because my corals look and grow amazingly well in this setup. I've heard a little about ceriths, limpets and chitons eating cyano but no real evidence anyone have experience?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO , Your best to to look at cuc that eats the stuff cyano feeds on. I.e. Particulates. Cyano bacteria is fuled by more than just high nutrients. I know mine are high but have no cyano.
High co2 and low ph is also a cause that won't effect other changes you mentioned that you didn't want to make.

Here's a good cuc guide.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/choosing-cleanup-crew-critters.107/

OP
OP
spidercrab

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO , Your best to to look at cuc that eats the stuff cyano feeds on. I.e. Particulates. Cyano bacteria is fuled by more than just high nutrients. I know mine are high but have no cyano.
High co2 and low ph is also a cause that won't effect other changes you mentioned that you didn't want to make.

Here's a good cuc guide.
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/choosing-cleanup-crew-critters.107/

Thats good I could probably get a good detritus eating crew. My pH stays 8.2-8.4 though I dont know what the CO2 is.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good I could probably get a good detritus eating crew. My pH stays 8.2-8.4 though I dont know what the CO2 is.
If your ph is good. Then your co2 is low. So I'd suspect high dissolved organics.

One of the reasons many suggest flow(although they may not know it) is gas exchange and to prevent settleing of organics. When I get cyano it's in one of two spots. The bottom of the flow pattern.

OP
OP
spidercrab

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ph is good. Then your co2 is low. So I'd suspect high dissolved organics.

One of the reasons many suggest flow(although they may not know it) is gas exchange and to prevent settleing of organics. When I get cyano it's in one of two spots. The bottom of the flow pattern.

Yes It is definitely from high dissolved organics, nitrates at 10ppm and phos at .1 but that seems to also be what my corals like best as well as low flow because a lot of the mushrooms are loose so they would blow around if I increase it.

OP
OP
spidercrab

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see ceriths listed in your source above as cyano eaters but not sure how efficient they are.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes It is definitely from high dissolved organics, nitrates at 10ppm and phos at .1 but that seems to also be what my corals like best as well as low flow because a lot of the mushrooms are loose so they would blow around if I increase it.
Yup. Exactly. In our own personal game of reef chess, I like to find my own strategies to win.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see ceriths listed in your source above as cyano eaters but not sure how efficient they are.
I generally reccomend a diverse crew. Some may not directly eat it but likely will eat the other stuff too.

Multi pronged attack.

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not getting it.... I believe I have cyano, but my nitrates are around 1 ppm and phos is zero (hana checker). I dose N and P and the next day they are near zero or zero again. I know dinos can be from low nutrients, but from what everybody is telling me, this pic is cyano. If I turkey baste this stuff, it comes right back again within hours.

thumbnail-10.jpeg

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a low flow high nutrient tank and I would like a CUC that eats cyano. I dont want to lower feeding, change lighting or flow because my corals look and grow amazingly well in this setup. I've heard a little about ceriths, limpets and chitons eating cyano but no real evidence anyone have experience?
From my experience, none of these CUC eat cyano. U can try several Scarlet Reef Hermet's that'll eat detritus off the sand/rocks to help prevent cyano. Otherwise, it comes down to nutrient/light/flow control as cyano needs phosphate and light to grow... Just to make sure, r u using RODI water and GFO reactor? If so, then u may want to look into adding an algae scrubber/reactor that'll help export all the excess nutrients very quickly and effectively especially since u like to feed heavy. There are different size algae scrubber/reactors based on how much u feed the tank.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a cyano outbreak a little bit ago. Did some serious water changes twice a week and went dark for 3 days. Also took out rock and scrubbed it in clean RODI water with a new toothbrush rinised in RODI water.

Was able to get rid of it all and haven’t seen an issue since. Remember to watch how much you are feeding and to make sure you have good flow across the bottom so any waste or extra food is able to get filtered out

Sounds like a lot but it wasn’t bad at all

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • None.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back