What exactly does activated carbon do?

The_Phoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably an obvious question to experienced reefers but I just want a few straight answers. It seems that my lfs and other websites like to talk in circles.

I’d like these questions answered:

What does Carbon remove?
How much should I use?
How often should I change it?
Do I even need it?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What it does well:

remove yellowing water waste compounds

Removes suspended items well

provides high surface area for nitrifying bacteria and heterotrophic bacteria

it’s use is optional I have never reefed with it

you can’t overuse it, but, use in certain fish setups has been associated with irritation and HLLE disease.

you should pre rinse it well before use if any.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
molecules and organics and stuff sticks to carbon, its a natural general purpose cleaning miracle. You can use carbon filter pads in an air purifier, you can run dirty water through carbon and it will be safe to drink, some people even take carbon pills when they are sick, etc. Its not something you need, but it is beneficial in every way

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
molecules and organics and stuff sticks to carbon, its a natural general purpose cleaning miracle. You can use carbon filter pads in an air purifier, you can run dirty water through carbon and it will be safe to drink, some people even take carbon pills when they are sick, etc. Its not something you need, but it is beneficial in every way
they also use it when you have been hospitalized due to drinking too much alchohol. dont ask me how i know

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run chemi-pure blue 24/7 and that's a mixed carbon media. They say it takes toxins out of the water and can help if corals go into chemical warfare. But I've been running it off of hear-say and what other reefers have done before me

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using it in my reef, just my fresh water cichlid tank. I use poly-filter instead. Got tired of rinsing and still get fines going through the nylon bag. Been 6 months with no problems.

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon removes VOCs and many "chemicals" from your water. It is not at all a necessary and carbon fines loose in the water has been linked to HLLE. Rinsing it very well is recommended, more so if you will have tangs of other species that tend to develop HLLE. It will help clarify your water as has been stated and will help keep toxins that many corals produce from building up to high levels. It's a good safety layer to help you if something makes it into your tank, but has limitations. It's more effective when it has more contact time so lower flow is good, but you also need to have good circulation across it, so it's best placed in high flow areas. This need is what leads to people using reactors to maximize the contact time and flow through it. The general rule I've always heard and go by is about a table spoon per 5 gallons and change it every month, twice a month if you are using a reactor. You don't have to worry about overdosing it though.

It will not effectively remove heavy metals, nitrates, phosphates or bacteria form your water. Things you would want to be careful of how much you drink. It can pull out some real nasties from water, but isn't a magic perfect water pill either. Used with GFO or other medias, it's a great tool for your tank though.

As also stated, it is an amazing surface for bacteria to grow on, but you also will through away most of the bacteria when you throw away the depleted carbon.

One thing to remember is for the most part, it doesn't just eat the things it removes. They are still in your tank, just bound to the carbon. It can also begin to release some of the things it's captured later in life so you don' want to just forget about it and leave it behind.

I hope that is helpful, happy reefing friend.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably an obvious question to experienced reefers but I just want a few straight answers. It seems that my lfs and other websites like to talk in circles.

I’d like these questions answered:

What does Carbon remove?
How much should I use?
How often should I change it?
Do I even need it?
All I know is that it keeps my water crystal clear. I run the BRS deluxe reactor wirh BRS Rox 0 8 carbon pellets and was amazed by how much it improved water clarity.

M Stein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run chemi-pure blue 24/7 and that's a mixed carbon media. They say it takes toxins out of the water and can help if corals go into chemical warfare. But I've been running it off of hear-say and what other reefers have done before me
chemi-pure is just a combo of carbon and purigen. The catch is though that purigen lasts for longer and is also rechargeable (its usually easier to just buy more). You can get greater value for you money if you buy and run carbon and purigen separately.

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may - sort have - been answered above, but for the avoidance of doubt, are there any DOWNSIDES in using Carbon?

I've come from the Freshwater side of the hobby where running carbon is extremely common, and trying to work out - subject to rinsing of course - if there's any reasons to NOT run carbon in a reef system

(I did for a few months when I started my reef, then stopped when I heard that the vast majority of reefers don't use it - now starting to wonder why....)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used carbon in my softie and gorg systems. Not so much in my lps or sps systems. I have never personally had an issue with HLLE on my tangs, and they have always been in my system with carbon.
I use a reactor as I do not see as much benefit from just a bag of carbon in the sump. Water will always take the path of least resistance and through a bag of carbon is not it. :)
I always use high grade carbon and rinse thoroughly then run a gallon or so through reactor into a bucket prior to letting loose on my system. I have sometimes put a sock under the outlet if I notice some fines getting out. This rarely happens, but I have done it twice over 17 years or so.
I noticed a huge difference in my gorg system when my carbon expired. More drooping, more tingly to the touch of the water. Gorgs are not nice with toxin release.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
(I did for a few months when I started my reef, then stopped when I heard that the vast majority of reefers don't use it - now starting to wonder why....)
Tangs and angelfish get torn up by carbon. They end up with severe hlle. The studies done weren't exactly sure why. Unless there are newer studies that do know.. From what I read they believe the dust strips out certain minerals these fish need. Or, attaches to the fish and causes injury that way. A lot of it was based on soft carbon however. The rox 0.8 carbon is far safer for tangs and angelfish.

1. What does Carbon remove?

Carbon can deplete trace elements. Other organics that corals and fish produce that causes water to yellow. Red sea is claiming their carbon doesn't take up nearly as much trace elements like other brands, and doesn't absorb a lot of iodine. I can't prove this.

2.How much should I use?

The instructions should be on the container of carbon on how many grahams to use for 20g+. If I recall you need a teaspoon or tablespoon of carbon per 10g of water.
I don't really see a need to run carbon all the time. It can help keep your water crystal clear, but expect to change carbon frequently for that. I always have carbon ready just in case of emergency.

3. How often should I change it?

Mixed reefs benefit from carbon due to the toxins released by other corals. Because of this, it's difficult to know when your carbon needs to be replaced. I would say every 2 weeks if you plan on keeping it running. Saltwater ruins carbon much faster than freshwater can.

4. Do I even need it?

Yes.
Even if you aren't using carbon 24/7. Having carbon ready is important for over dosing meds, outside toxins getting into the aquarium. Or, unknown emergencies. When corals are stressed they will release heavy amounts of toxins that will pollute the aquarium. Carbon will assist in the removal of the pollutants.

And no, you don't always need to run carbon. Regular filtration and a good skimmer will remove most of the unwanted gunk and assist in keeping the water clear. Proper filters, like poly filter as another poster stated is much cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back