What happened to my Acan?

Slickraptor13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a nano tank that has been up for about a year now, and I'm starting to add some corals to it. My tank inhabitants are as follows: 2 nano clowns, an orchid dottyback, a lawnmower blenny, some snails and a peppermint shrimp. Coral wise, i have a small colony of GSP, two Zoa's, a Blasto, a Scoli, and this newest addition this Acan polyp. The Zoa's havent been opening up very much, but my water parameters are in line and yes I'm doing a 50% water change weekly. But what the heck happend to the center of two of the three Acan's? I'm suspecting the shrimp is messing with the Zoa's but would it eat the mouths of the Acan's too?
Acan.jpg

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the infamous dirty work of a peppermint shrimp. Known for eating acans. This really must be a bummer on you end that coral looked pretty nice. I would get rid of the peppermint shrimp and replace it with a cleaner shrimp.

-Reeferman47

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to offer another POV - I think peps get an unfair rap. Yes some species tend to be more "indescriminant" at picking at polyps (there are many diff species popular in reef hobby all sold as peppermint shrimp) so it can be hit or miss. However majority only do so if tje polyp is dying or otherwise unhealthy and they are doing what CUC is supposed to do.

Putting the blame on the peppermint may mask an underlying issue with the coral. Ie, the one remaining head that the peppermint didn't allegedly ate also look very stressed out with the tissue receding and polyp retraction. If you have a sump maybe put the peppermint in there for now and see if the remaining head recovers or if it still struggles. That will give you a better idea if the peppermint is the culprit.

I had one in my tank, never touched any coral and kept it aitptasia free. I keep mixed reef with acans too and target feed them. Never even touched a very unhealthy one from a rescue colony (tho I kinda wish it did to help clear out the dead/dying heads so the rest of the healthy colony can recover)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on the lack of trust on peppermints. Acans have general requirements and often when on the sandbed often get irritated by sand. I’d elevate it a little

moderate light and water flow
Temp 76-79
Salinity 1,025
Ph. 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .04
Ammonia. < .03
Mag. 1300
Phosphate < .04

FLReefer101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree with Vetteguy and Dkmoo. Acans can be very finicky especially since you just put them in. There is several species of the Lysmata boggessi are the aiptasia eaters. Some LFS will sell PS as such but in fact will be a different species. You have to do your homework and make sure what you are buying is the right one. Any shrimp can disturb LPS when eating but not intentional. I’m no expert on this but did lots of research due to my aiptasia outbreak. I had lots of zoos and acans which was never bothered.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%
Back