What Happens When API Ammonia Test Kit Goes Bad

  • Thread starter Thread starter kboogie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Randy, I asked above, but I just want to confirm that, ostensibly, you put a lot of trust in these Seachem ammonia alert badges? I'm asking because I know guys like Jay H. and Vetteguy have said that they don't trust these badges, I believe they have said they are really for freshwater use (if useful at all)?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on these badges; thank you for your help!

I don’t have any reason to doubt them, but I don’t know for sure that they are always accurate.

DanP has done a number of tests with it:

@Dan_P

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/does-prime-actually-detoxify-free-ammonia-nh3.849985/#post-9237955
 
I don’t have any reason to doubt them, but I don’t know for sure that they are always accurate.

DanP has done a number of tests with it:

@Dan_P

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/does-prime-actually-detoxify-free-ammonia-nh3.849985/#post-9237955
I used a fiber optic cable attached to a spectrophotometer to record the intensity and spectrum of the light reflected from several ammonia detecting films, including Seachem and Seneye. I used ammonium chloride to calibrate the films. They work.

The faster the response time to the appearance of ammonia, the longer is the recovery time, the time to return to their resting state once ammonia is removed. The color change to ammonia is not linear over a large range, the change becoming weaker at higher concentrations. The films provide a good estimate of the free ammonia concentration when doing visual color comparisons, very good when using a photometer to measure the color change.
 
I used a fiber optic cable attached to a spectrophotometer to record the intensity and spectrum of the light reflected from several ammonia detecting films, including Seachem and Seneye. I used ammonium chloride to calibrate the films. They work.

The faster the response time to the appearance of ammonia, the longer is the recovery time, the time to return to their resting state once ammonia is removed. The color change to ammonia is not linear over a large range, the change becoming weaker at higher concentrations. The films provide a good estimate of the free ammonia concentration when doing visual color comparisons, very good when using a photometer to measure the color change.
Good information, thanks for your help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new