What has happened to The reef hobby

Badspstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out the reef hobby for about 8 years now I used to have a 240 gallon cube and I've noticed a lot of the equipment has changed which is great for the hobby but I also notice a lot of the corals are the same with different names and crazy high I'm not sure what has happened over the last 8 to 10 years but I was considering getting back into the hobby definitely will not do it at this point.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to stay away from the really expensive stuff and try to find deals on corals whenever I can. The reality is that things have simply become more expensive to some extent due to the past few years of the pandemic and shipping costs going through the roof.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's definitely a different game these days. its changed a lot in the last 4 years especially. there was beginning to be a rise in equipment cost and the instagram ready tank items. then the indo ban sent coral prices spiraling up. they started to recover then the pandemic hit. Then a bunch of people got into the hobby and the industry capitalized.

OP
OP
B

Badspstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's definitely a different game these days. its changed a lot in the last 4 years especially. there was beginning to be a rise in equipment cost and the instagram ready tank items. then the indo ban sent coral prices spiraling up. they started to recover then the pandemic hit. Then a bunch of people got into the hobby and the industry capitalized.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think covid has had a big impact on a lot of hobbies in the same way TBH. More people getting in, and that means more demand. But also shipping prices going up and making it cost more to get the same things to retail.

I'm also an avid plant collector and what has happened in the rare plant and houseplant communities is maddening. For $ hundreds people sell what is known as a "wet stick" cutting from a Monstera Albo Variegata that has no nodes and can never root to grow into a new plant, and the demand for this plant is so high that ppl get duped and buy that. Ppl are stealing cuttings from botanical gardens. Retailers are selling "rare" plants now for stupid high prices. Retailers are also now smart to the fact that they can get more than double the true cost for certain plants, so they auction them instead of retailing them.

Point being it's not just this hobby, and it's at least in large part def a negative effect from covid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Badspstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think covid has had a big impact on a lot of hobbies in the same way TBH. More people getting in, and that means more demand. But also shipping prices going up and making it cost more to get the same things to retail.

I'm also an avid plant collector and what has happened in the rare plant and houseplant communities is maddening. For $ hundreds people sell what is known as a "wet stick" cutting from a Monstera Albo Variegata that has no nodes and can never root to grow into a new plant, and the demand for this plant is so hight that ppl get duped and buy that. Ppl are stealing cuttings from botanical gardens. Retailers are selling "rare" plants now for stupid high prices. Retailers are also now smart to the fact that they can get more than double the true cost for certain plants, so they auction them.

Point being, it's not just this hobby, and it's at least in large part def a negative effect form covid.
Also I feel like it's always a supply and demand thing I think if people just stop buying the high and stuff are slow down on buying the high-end stuff and work with each other. We use to trade frags alot back in the days the high end prices will go down we did it once it can be done again.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm also an avid plant collector and what has happened in the rare plant and houseplant communities is maddening. For $ hundreds people sell what is known as a "wet stick" cutting from a Monstera Albo Variegata that has no nodes and can never root to grow into a new plant, and the demand for this plant is so hight that ppl get duped and buy that. Ppl are stealing cuttings from botanical gardens. Retailers are selling "rare" plants now for stupid high prices. Retailers are also now smart to the fact that they can get more than double the true cost for certain plants, so they auction them.

Point being, it's not just this hobby, and it's at least in large part def a negative effect form covid.
My wife is to into houseplants and that increase is crazy for sure.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I feel like it's always a supply and demand thing I think if people just stop buying the high and stuff are slow down on buying the high-end stuff and work with each other on Friday like we used to do back in the days the high end prices will go down we did it once can be done again
The next increase may come when and if they amend the lacy act which has passed the house. So I hope it'll come down but it may not.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have to be careful where you buy from as the top vendors prey on people who love to click on Instagram and social media . It's not saying they dont have beautiful healthy livestock but a purple stylo is a purple stylo no matter where you buy it from .

OP
OP
B

Badspstank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be careful where you buy from as the top vendors prey on people who love to click on Instagram and social media . It's not saying they dont have beautiful healthy livestock but a purple stylo is a purple stylo no matter where you buy it from .
I agree 100% and I've heard purple stylo's now called some other new name I can't think of it right now that's how absurd it was yeah it's just wild

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just now coming back after being gone for two years.

The amount of people that are altering photos and trying to add their own custom names tk common corals so they can jack up the price has really been disappointing.

It's not just retailers, it's "hobbyist" who are padding their income with frag tanks that are creating this trend.

I'm sick of coral fads.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately it is there job to get the most they can for there items. We may not like it but a business is to make money and the last 5 years have given them several reasons to raise prices. Couple that with the inherent turn around in this and many hobbies you get a constant new group of people who don't remember what the prices used to be. So the more turn around the easier it is to raise prices. Not a knock on things just the way it. I do miss 5 dollar frags that didn't come from a special sale or some other gimmick.

also miss going to frag swaps and seeing other coral than just what's hot on instagram.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to stay away from the really expensive stuff and try to find deals on corals whenever I can. The reality is that things have simply become more expensive to some extent due to the past few years of the pandemic and shipping costs going through the roof.
Not just corals that have become ridiculously expensive as I just left the grocery store and now at the gas station...hhhmmm wonder what caused this?

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just corals that have become ridiculously expensive as I just left the grocery store and now at the gas station...hhhmmm wonder what caused this?
coral has been going way up before the most recent inflation and supply issues.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out the reef hobby for about 8 years now I used to have a 240 gallon cube and I've noticed a lot of the equipment has changed which is great for the hobby but I also notice a lot of the corals are the same with different names and crazy high I'm not sure what has happened over the last 8 to 10 years but I was considering getting back into the hobby definitely will not do it at this point.
Any pics of this 240 cube? Thats insane!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral has been experiencing both being trendy and get rich quick inflation the last few years.

I mostly keep fish mostly and inflation has been more tolerable.
The xenia in my one tank would be worth $10,000 at current retail which makes me laugh. $70 for a tiny bit of it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back