What have you done to maintain your tank?

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So at the start of the COVID this year, I was lucky to find myself in an essential job. But now a few months later, while we are still essential, my employer has cut hours badly. I’ve lost almost 45% of my take-home pay, so now I’m looking at income only the essential bills, and after that, I have no money left over for CC payments or salt for my tank or anything for the tank for that matter. I know I’m not the only one out there that has been hit by this. So I’m just wondering what has everyone done? I’ve thought about starting a go fund me account, but I don’t think it would get me very far. Lol

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat. Was laid off end of April and my "extravagant" reef spending spree came to a halt. As an engineer I work on the factory floor and my area wasn't taking COVID seriously. Took about a month for anxiety to die down and the reality that I need income before I could start applying. Got several leads which is good. Savings has been cut dramatically...

I went through my storage closet and sold anything that I thought could be worth more than $5. Sold several watches, my old macbook, old iMac and other stuff collecting dust and have racked up about $500 extra cash. Luckily I also have a gf that lives with me that makes a healthy chunk of change that treats me and pays bills despite my wishes.

Part time job? Pet stores often lack aquatic experience. Frag some corals? Odd jobs or temporary work may help too.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much at all to sell. I sold one of my cars to drop the monthly payment. I'm back in college, getting another degree, and in need of my computer and tablet. And on top of everything, I went through all of my savings and tapped into my 401k already this year when I bought my house. Also, my tank isn't at the fragging point just yet she is still young. I just don't want to have to sell everything in the tank because the cost of starting it back up is more than I would get if I was to sell everything.

I am in the same boat. Was laid off end of April and my "extravagant" reef spending spree came to a halt. As an engineer I work on the factory floor and my area wasn't taking COVID seriously. Took about a month for anxiety to die down and the reality that I need income before I could start applying. Got several leads which is good. Savings has been cut dramatically...

I went through my storage closet and sold anything that I thought could be worth more than $5. Sold several watches, my old macbook, old iMac and other stuff collecting dust and have racked up about $500 extra cash. Luckily I also have a gf that lives with me that makes a healthy chunk of change that treats me and pays bills despite my wishes.

Part time job? Pet stores often lack aquatic experience. Frag some corals? Odd jobs or temporary work may help too.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of engineer are you? I work in semiconductors. And my plant is typically always looking for good engineers. If you're in my part of the world Washington State, I could referer yo.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Industrial/Systems engineering and Va sadly. I appreciate it though!

Any reefer friends in the area? While it doesn't solve the on-hand cash issue I am sure if you asked around or posted in the local club forums on R2R someone could do a loan for salt. Heck if it didn't weigh a ton I would ship you a spare bag.

Services are often needed by pretty much anyone. When my girlfriend and I worked our typical 8-5 jobs I was paying someone like $10-$20 to walk my dogs through Rover (I live in a college town too). Tank maintenance service via craigslist is also an idea. College is the perfect time to be broke, ramen never tasted so good.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not a lot of readers in my area. My nearest LFS if over 100miles away. I'd thought my ramen days were over with my first two degrees. Lol

Industrial/Systems engineering and Va sadly. I appreciate it though!

Any reefer friends in the area? While it doesn't solve the on-hand cash issue I am sure if you asked around or posted in the local club forums on R2R someone could do a loan for salt. Heck if it didn't weigh a ton I would ship you a spare bag.

Services are often needed by pretty much anyone. When my girlfriend and I worked our typical 8-5 jobs I was paying someone like $10-$20 to walk my dogs through Rover (I live in a college town too). Tank maintenance service via craigslist is also an idea. College is the perfect time to be broke, ramen never tasted so good.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s just corals (hopefully lower end) shove them into a smaller container (anything that holds water) with a powerhead and lights. They won’t be as happy but you’ll save costs on salt and use less water. Throw a hang in the back filter in there and move your heater, you should be okay with no skimmer. Move any small fish (like less than 2-3”) in there. Rehome large fish. Not an ideal sitch but very good short term. Used this setup when I moved houses. Transferred all the livestock to a Rubbermaid with the above stuff and it sat in the new house for a little over a month while I set up the new tank and cycled it (old tank got cracked by the movers). I hope this helps you! Maybe consider fragging your corals by the polyp (esp. zoas) and keep only 1 or 2 polyps for you. Should get you a little extra income. I lost my job so now all I’m doing is fragging and selling corals, I’m coming out okay, not as good as before covid but good enough to make ends meet.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s just corals (hopefully lower end) shove them into a smaller container (anything that holds water) with a powerhead and lights. They won’t be as happy but you’ll save costs on salt and use less water. Throw a hang in the back filter in there and move your heater, you should be okay with no skimmer. Move any small fish (like less than 2-3”) in there. Rehome large fish. Not an ideal sitch but very good short term. Used this setup when I moved houses. Transferred all the livestock to a Rubbermaid with the above stuff and it sat in the new house for a little over a month while I set up the new tank and cycled it (old tank got cracked by the movers). I hope this helps you! Maybe consider fragging your corals by the polyp (esp. zoas) and keep only 1 or 2 polyps for you. Should get you a little extra income. I lost my job so now all I’m doing is fragging and selling corals, I’m coming out okay, not as good as before covid but good enough to make ends meet.
You could also turn off the filter in your main tank right now, cut the water volume in half or more (enough to get 1” of water above the corals), take out all the live rock and make a frag tank out of it with powerheads running. That would also cut costs dramatically. A 20 gallon tank turns into a 9ish gallon tank for me with no live rock and all the corals on frag plugs (with the stems cut off). A 10% water change on that is basically nothing, not even 1 gallon.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also turn off the filter in your main tank right now, cut the water volume in half or more (enough to get 1” of water above the corals), take out all the live rock and make a frag tank out of it with powerheads running. That would also cut costs dramatically. A 20 gallon tank turns into a 9ish gallon tank for me with no live rock and all the corals on frag plugs (with the stems cut off). A 10% water change on that is basically nothing, not even 1 gallon.
I have to say that your methods likely will work but might be a little over the top haha
Downsize is not a bad idea though!

Back