What Heater do you use ?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at the point of "Buy once, cry once" and will throw almost any amount of money at a heater that has a digital read out and will not create a constant headache. I have tried the Eheim, I have tried the Aqueon and the Hygger, which all keep my tank anywhere from 73-82 degrees, but with no rhyme or reason as to why it turns on and off. There is no correlation between temperature and on/off function. While this range is acceptable, I would prefer to keep it at 79 degrees all the time. My heater is kept in my sump area, and it is not easy to reach. I would like to be able to set a temperature, set the heater, and forget about it.

I see the BRS titanium heaters have some very poor reviews. What are you using to keep your temperature of your tank at a stable level?

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all brands imaginable. The best is my 42 year old Marineland.

I don't know what it is about heaters but for the last 10 years or so I have went through at least 15 heaters on 2 systems. It got so bad at one point I had an electrician come in and look at my electrical system in my house for spikes or any other reason for my heater problems. He found no problems.

Tired of spending money and companies hanging me out to dry I went with Hygger. I have 4 of these now and have not had a single problem over the 3 years with them. You can actually plug any heater into the controller. But I have not had to do that. I did have to remove the plastic cages though. They were building up carbonate. Other than that I love them.

I'm not sure if this is the Hygger you tried.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used several different brands and so far am not loyal to any one brand. I used eheim jager and have had several of them fail on me. I switched to cheap orlushy heaters from Amazon and never had one fail but wanted to go with titanium heaters. So I started using InkBird heaters and had two fail on me, I suspect from coraline algae growing on the cap of them. I am now using Finnex and so far so good.
I replace them every year or two and I use two smaller heaters so with a InkBird temp controller and a apex to monitor I’m not too worried about failures of the heaters themselves.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
currently, two 100w BRS titanium heaters linked to an inkbird in my 40B

in my future 75G, i’ll have two eheim jaeger 150w linked to the inkbird.

edit: i will probably sell the 150w jaegers for BRS heaters because they’re smaller..

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it that we can spend $7,000 on a new tank and $500 on a protein skimmer and $18,000 on an Apex/Trident system, but there is NOONE who has created aquarium heater that is worth any money.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex titanium.

All I have ever used for the last 20 years or so.

Coupled with a ranco, and apex as backup, my tank always sits at 78.5.

While I have a backup, the current finnex in my tank is around 7 years old.

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Helio by IM for the win. Love the small size and accuracy.
Just ordered mine with dual heaters. Been reading up about them and seems like they could potentially be getting my business from now on. On a side note I've had the same Hyger Titanium heater for 2 years now and still going strong.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered mine with dual heaters. Been reading up about them and seems like they could potentially be getting my business from now on. On a side note I've had the same Hyger Titanium heater for 2 years now and still going strong.
Mine has been bullet proof

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As weird as it sounds .
I have the same old heater I started with years ago .
It barely ever turns on
Lighting the tank with 8 t5’s keeps the water warm ,
It cools a little over night but not enough for the heater to come on

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-100 watt Eheim Thermocontrol-E heaters hooked into an Aqualogic controller. Two heaters so if one fails my tank won't freeze. Heaters are set slightly above what my Aqualogic controller is set to so if it sticks on my tank won't cook.

bball34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running helio 1000 watt on my tank. Went with the higher wattage due to room tank is in is normally around 68-70 degrees. When the system is working it has been great. However I’ve had this system for about 15 months and it has failed 3 times. Sending whole package back to IM for warranty gets costly in shipping fees and insurance. Getting to the point where I’m about to give up.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting an Inkbird, best decision I have made for my reef, a second close being the Hanna salinity meter. I know my temps were swinging between 72-81 depending on literally nothing, purchased the inkbird and my temp has been 77.5-78.2 for almost 6 months straight and I got the digital graph to prove it lol

I’ve got a fan that runs whenever the T5 kicks on, so it gets right above 78 mid day, but never problematic. Might have to reevaluate this summer with some type of chiller, but you won’t regret your Inkbird

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 16

bball34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately went with inkbirds 1st and three failed within 6 months.The last actually shorted out and the controller melted. Thank goodness I was working on my other tanks and smelled it

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the finnex titanium heating rods run off my apex for years.
I have only had one fail, and it was at least 10 years old, possibly older.
Unless I start having issues with finnex, sticking with it.

Back