824F9F0A-163C-4718-BE9E-54C3EE05C067.jpeg
Arent they really hard to keep alive?

althyu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the largest of the Combtooth Blennies, maxing out at just under 2ft (20 inches). These are known for swimming in open water (similarly to snake eels which they seem to imitate to some degree) however they remain on Sandy bottoms where they inhabit other fishes burrows.
Xiphasia species are sometimes caught in traps which has proven to science that previously believed they were confined to being bottom dwellers that in fact they do swim and tend to hang around ‘floating’ objects.
The way these guys go into burrows is tail first and often divers diving round Australia just see the head of this fish projecting from the sand.

If you’re interested, the scientific name of this specific Combtooth blenny is Xiphasia setifer. There are no reports of this species in captivity to my knowledge however if it was imported I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a hard one to get hold of. This is a fish I wish was in the hobby and if it ever is, I highly doubt I won’t try to get hold of it. This is one of the few Blennies that I dream of doing more research on and actually having experience with it both in captivity and in the wild.
I think dejong marine life has X. setifer

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a fish I see often while diving or snorkling. Copper Sweepers. I have never saw them in the hobby but they are very common in the Caribbean under rocks right near shore in a foot or two of water.

They look like freshwater hatchet fish but with a reddish hue.

Description​

Also known as Blackspot Sweeper, Bronze Sweeper, Bullseyes, Cave Sweeper, Hatchet Fish, Keeled Bullseye, Keeled Sweeper, Oualan Bullseye, Oualan Sweeper, Schooling Copper Sweeper, Silver Sweeper.

Found in schools, during the day in caves, harbours, under ledges and around shipwrecks, dispersing at night, hunting for food, high above the bottom, over sheltered lagoons, reef margins and seaward reefs.
They feed nocturnally on benthic and planktonic crustaceans, fish and invertebrates.
Length - 22cm
Depth - 0-35m
Widespread Indo-Pacific

Sweepers school during the day, but at night they float high above the bottom to hunt for larger zooplankton.
Several species are triangular shaped. Ref: https://www.fishbase.se/summary/5802

th.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back